WAG Does this happen????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For every child that is 'held back' there is a child who is being pushed ahead before they are truly ready.
I know of a girl that started as a L4 with my OG. The girl was her "mortal enemy" that first year. The next year, that girl was a L5... did decently. The next year, she was a L6 (my OG was an L5 that year). The next year, the girl was L7 (my OG was L6). The girl repeated L7 last season... with the worst giants I have ever seen! This year, she competed L8 - still with bad form on her giants. She is barely 12. Her gym only goes to L9 because that is all the farther our district competes. I am hoping they let her repeat L8 for 2 more years (or until she can do giants with nice form). Then at 14 or 15, she can start competing L9. If she does well at L9 (well enough to PLACE at YMCA Nationals as an All American in Championship Division - L9 and L10 compete as the same level at Nationals), then she can switch to a private club for her junior and/or senior year and compete L10.

Obviously if a team just automatically spends a couple years in each level no matter what then that is sandbagging.
Absolutely!! My daughter is a 9 y/o L7. The girl who won her age group at states with a 38.750 trains L9! Try explaining that to a 9 year old!
==
Wait, wait,,, hold on,,, A 9 year old level 7, by ANY STANDARD IN ANY STATE, is by no way or means being held back.... You tell your daughter this, "Wow she is really good, and so are you".

Obviously if a team just automatically spends a couple years in each level no matter what then that is sandbagging.

==
Wait, wait,,, hold on,,, A 9 year old level 7, by ANY STANDARD IN ANY STATE, is by no way or means being held back.... You tell your daughter this, "Wow she is really good, and so are you".

I would think a 9 yo L7 is just being paced well, not being held back. She may be training L9, but the mental demands of competing L9 are a whole different story, and it is completely possible that she has all sorts of great L9 skills but is missing one thing- like perhaps a flipping vault which is very common with the young girls. And, I agree with Coachp, any 9 yo L7 is amazing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back