Parents Ds invited to team!

• Thread starter Thread starter GymnastsMomma
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
G

GymnastsMomma

My DH informed me that they are starting a boy's team and they want DS to be apart of it!!:D

I know very much about girls team\scoring but absolutely nothing about boys scoring\team. Here are some skills he has:

Vault: he can do a front handspring
H Bar: kip.. back hip circle.. swings..
Floor: ok now he does tumbling so he has a tuck and working on a layout.

I don't know anything about the 3 others because they do those a different day. (Goes twice a week)

Please give me as much info as you can about Boys competitive gymnastics!:confused::confused:

I'm assuming this is USAG?

Sounds like level 5/6, depending on how his pommels, rings, and p-bars look.

For compulsory levels (levels 4-7), boys have a start value of 15.0 on each event, with up to a point in bonus for specific added skills, stick bonus, and virtuosity, giving them a maximum score of 16.0 on each event (except vault, where the max score is 15.7).

Deductions are SIGNIFICANTLY larger than they are for girls (.1 for a small error, .3 for a medium error, .5 for a large error, 1.0 for a fall, and 1.5 for an omitted skill), so expect low scores (even being scored out of a max of 16, I've seen people win states in NC with scores in the 5's and 6's on pommel horse)

At optionals (level 8 and up) there is no maximum score; USAG uses a slightly modified version of the FIG rules. On each event, the gymnast gets an execution score (max 10) and a difficulty score (no max), and the final score is the sum of these two. Scores generally range from the mid 11's to the high 14's.

I'm assuming this is USAG?

Sounds like level 5/6, depending on how his pommels, rings, and p-bars look.

For compulsory levels (levels 4-7), boys have a start value of 15.0 on each event, with up to a point in bonus for specific added skills, stick bonus, and virtuosity, giving them a maximum score of 16.0 on each event (except vault, where the max score is 15.7).

Deductions are SIGNIFICANTLY larger than they are for girls (.1 for a small error, .3 for a medium error, .5 for a large error, 1.0 for a fall, and 1.5 for an omitted skill), so expect low scores (even being scored out of a max of 16, I've seen people win states in NC with scores in the 5's and 6's on pommel horse)

At optionals (level 8 and up) there is no maximum score; USAG uses a slightly modified version of the FIG rules. On each event, the gymnast gets an execution score (max 10) and a difficulty score (no max), and the final score is the sum of these two. Scores generally range from the mid 11's to the high 14's.

Okay so level 7 is considered compulsory? .. and the 15.0 is considered a 10.0 for girls? So then a 14.0 is like a 9.0 for girls?
Sorry for all the questions.. new and very confused.

Okay so level 7 is considered compulsory?
Yes

and the 15.0 is considered a 10.0 for girls? So then a 14.0 is like a 9.0 for girls?

It's difficult to make a direct comparison to girls' scores. The absolute maximum score is a 16 (except on vault).

It depends on the judge, but I'd say generally any score over a 14 is an excellent score, so I guess you could compare 14.0 for boys to 9.0 for girls.

Sorry for all the questions.. new and very confused.

No worries; happy to help.

I've watched a couple youtube vids on L5 gymnastics... he can do the floor.. vault.. hb.. a few skills on the pbars (not the handstands).. pommel horse (except for the mushroom part).. and rings. I am just a little confused because some videos (from 2007..2008) scores were 9.9, 9.3, etc. The scores from newer videos are 15.2, etc. Did they change the scoring by any chance?

I've watched a couple youtube vids on L5 gymnastics... he can do the floor.. vault.. hb.. a few skills on the pbars (not the handstands).. pommel horse (except for the mushroom part).. and rings. I am just a little confused because some videos (from 2007..2008) scores were 9.9, 9.3, etc. The scores from newer videos are 15.2, etc. Did they change the scoring by any chance?

The switch to the 16-point system was recent.

No advice, but a definite congrats! Sounds like you have a really talented kid on your hands! Enjoy the new adventure of boys comp. gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back