WAG elbow clicking

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stellar

Proud Parent
My daughter's elbow started bothering her in January (actually started in the fall then stopped for a while). She had pain while doing BHS on beam, then it started to hurt on floor and then a bit even out of the gym. I took her to an orthopedic who did an X-ray and called it Little League Elbow. But she seemed to talk more about the medial epicondyle and growth plate. There was no fracture visible in the x-ray. Dr. had her rest for 3 weeks. DD went to practice to do conditioning during that time (nothing using arms). At the 3 week mark she started back at bars with no pain and then then did beam and floor with no BHS on either event- but she was able to do round-offs BLO and front tumbling without FHS. She also could FHS on vault- all this with no pain.

It's now been about 7 weeks and she yesterday did timers on vault. The first few were ok, but when she went aggressive with them she felt her elbow click or pop and then some pain. She stopped and iced. No pain later in day and is fine today. Also a few days earlier she had tried some BHS on floor and felt same type of popping- but not as much pain.

I'm calling the Dr tomorrow but I'm curious as to any thoughts on this. She competed 2 meets after the 3 week mark- but had to modify floor and beam routines and vault a FHS (she's a L8). She's done fine with these routines and has only 2 meets left this season so she will have to continue with the modified routines.

I've read about OCD (osteochonrtitis dissecans) and it seems a bit different than medial epicondyle issues, but maybe it's really the same thing. Any thoughts???

Doc will know. maybe a piece of cartilage broke away. and it could be OCD.

I very suddenly had elbow pain after practice about 2 weeks ago, and was unable to straighten it. We made a trip to the orthopedist and he diagnosed it as early stages of ostechondritis. He explained it as the blood supply getting cut off to a part of the bone making it more prone to cracking and chipping, which if it happens is not good. He also referred to it as little league elbow, which is common in adolecent gymnasts and little league pitchers who put a lot of strain on their elbows. As of right now I have almost no pain but I still am not supposed to push or pull for 3 week. Very frustrating... Hoping for the best for your DD!

yes. not being able to straighten your arm is one of the symptoms. everyone joy that down. :)

DD has not had any issues with mobility in her elbow at all. Her range of motion is good, so I'm really hoping for the best. Her MRI is next Wed. She had a great practice yesterday, but did not do anything that hurt the elbow (i.e no BHS no vault). She has a meet this weekend and will compete the modified routines. Depending on what the MRI says this could be her last meet of the season. Initially she was still going to states, but if more treatment is required (i.e., surgery or more time off) I think it's best to start right away. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone for the info!!!

Honestly I think you should just wait for the MRI...I'm not sure the meet this weekend is worth it. Elbows are a tricky joint, and when they become destabilized in some way even basic things could significantly worsen certain conditions. Even a fall while trying to modify things.

Honestly I think you should just wait for the MRI...I'm not sure the meet this weekend is worth it. Elbows are a tricky joint, and when they become destabilized in some way even basic things could significantly worsen certain conditions. Even a fall while trying to modify things.

I totally agree...when my daughter had this, her orthopedist said that once they have the clicking or the grinding the elbow is considered unstable and you risk shattering it by continuing to train on it, even modified. And I remember asking " well you're going to have to fix it anyway, right?" to which he said " I don't want to have to reconstruct her elbow, I want to be able to repair it"...his point was that there was a huge risk in making it worse...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back