Parents Elbow Fracture - Was it Preventable?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sasha, thanks so much for explaining the different meanings.

if the gymnast feels unclear or deceived, then the coach has work to do to instill confidence and clarity.
It sounds like you're saying it's never okay for a coach to imply one type of spot and not give that spot for any reason. My dd has claimed in previous conversations that this has been done at her gym.

BTW, this has nothing to do with my DD's accident. I'm thinking about discussing this with her coach before she returns to the gym . Is this not typically done?

Sasha, thanks so much for explaining the different meanings.

It sounds like you're saying it's never okay for a coach to imply one type of spot and not give that spot for any reason. My dd has claimed in previous conversations that this has been done at her gym.

BTW, this has nothing to do with my DD's accident. I'm thinking about discussing this with her coach before she returns to the gym . Is this not typically done?

My personal opinion is that trust between gymnast and coach is non-negotiable if the athletic relationship is to be successful. If there is anything happening that is eroding that trust, it is worth a conversation. Probably, the coach is meaning no harm, and trying to teach the gymnast, "See? You don't really need a spot at all - isn't that great?" and perhaps this works for some or many athletes and they come to expect and accept his "I might spot you if you need it, but not if you don't" approach and are ok with it. Also, as you'll hear on CB many times, kids have a way of interpreting and presenting things that don't always align with what actually happened, or at least nuanced differently. Not saying your daughter is lying, but I'd approach any conversation with a coach from an inquisitive stance rather than an assumptive one.

I'm sure your coach would want to know if he is using any technique that is making your daughter uncomfortable, afraid, or upset, and there is an agreeable path forward.

But realize almost every gymnast gets hurt eventually. Many times while doing skills they have done hundreds times. And actually it is usually after the gymnast has learned the skill well that the injuries happen. All it takes is one slip. When dd was young, she broke her wrist while doing a cartwheel (regular cartwheel!) on the floor. Something she had been doing for years. It happens.
We recently had a L6 (repeater) who sprained her neck on a ROBHS on floor. She had been doing fine all warm up until then. It was a freak accident. Luckily it isn't broken according to the people that read the xrays (radiologist and sports med doc at pediatric urgent care, family ortho, and chiropractor).
To OP, what everyone else has said. You have to trust son your DD will trust.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back