Parents "ELITE TRACK"---IS THIS NORMAL?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ok homeschool folks... MDDDS I think was trying to say that the odds of getting a job related to gymnastics are far lower than the odds of getting a job in MOST other fields, including various academic fields especially when pooled together. ie, percent chance of employment related to gymnastics versus percent chance of job in all other fields put together (child has ability to choose area based upon interests/abilities that emerge with the mature mind of a young adult vs. choice made in childhood with child's maturity level).
I am not trying to make a judgement. I have no problems whatsoever with homeschooling or with elite children. Just trying to say odds are better in most other fields career-wise.

I get what you are trying to say and don't mean to attack you. But I don't care if my daughter gets a job in gymnastics. She is learning skills of time management, dedication, responsibility, work ethic. These skills will help her get whatever job she desires. Participating in athletics at a high level does not eliminate employment possibilities in the future.

I hope that people aren't choosing their children's activities based on their job related possibilities. What a sad childhood and teen age life to have your parents influence your activities so you can hopefully end up in their profession. My children are not choosing a profession at 10 or 15 years old they are growing up, experiencing life, making friendships, enjoying their activities, pursuing excellence their sports, receiving an education, learning languages, growing their faith, volunteering and being a kid.

"Gymnastics is not a sport that you make a living out of."

Someone (MDDDS?) said this^^^^ above. All my comments are in response to that remark. In general, I agree with that. Of course gymnasts can be many other things. I agree that it is good for their general development. I am not arguing with any of these very good observations - only saying that I agree with above remark (with some exceptions of course).

It would be very sad if children were confined only to activities that would reap economic rewards in the future.

And I also know some very smart, successful people who were homeschooled by average middle class professional parents.

I would love to homeschool my kids, and it has nothing to do with gymnastics. I think my husband & I could do a good job. As it is my husband is already spending time each day teaching our kids math & science concepts (it helps that he's a math & science prof), and they are only preschoolers. He'll probably continue to do this as they get older. All kids have to learn from their parents- homeschooling just formalizes it and takes schools out of the equation.

My DH and I are both professionals and academics are a higher priority to us than sports . I just can't see the average parent educating their children on calculus, Latin, and Shakespeare through homeschooling, once their children are older. Most of the parents (not necessarily gym parents) can't spell well or speak/write English using correct grammar.

You speak as if we have no options for out sourcing these things. Next to the "s" (socialization) word, this is one of the most ignorant assumptions that non-homeschooling parents, and especially professional educators make. Most homeschool parents are more than aware of their short comings, have plenty of "professionals" around them who like to point them out, and seek out private tutors, co-ops and other ways to teach classes they feel unable to teach themselves.

A quick peek at statistics and the anecdotal evidence of many friends who have raised homeschooled children from start to finish quickly puts any of my doubts to rest. When my state manages to rise above a 50% college ready statistic, then maybe we will talk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back