Parents "ELITE TRACK"---IS THIS NORMAL?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD used to do rec with a friend when they were young. Her friend progressed in gymnastics while my DD decided to pursue dance instead. Nonetheless, DD and friend went to school together until this year when friend was put on an "elite track" and was told she needed to homeschool instead. She is 9yo and has gone from Level 4 three yrs ago to either Level 8 or 9 this year. No doubt that friend has a lot of talent but her mother told me this weekend that her daughter couldn't come to my DD's sleepover this weekend because her coach stated earlier this month that the girls are not allowed to go to sleepovers, outside activities, doctor's appts; essentially no missing gym or anything that could interfere with their performance at practice for any reason whatsoever (not during competition season or even in the summer)! This seemed a little extreme to me for a 9yo. She is at the gym 8hrs/day six days a week. Is this normal for such a young girl, even if she is on an "elite track"? When my DS was in the 10/elite group, she would train 30-35 hrs/week.

I would say that my daughter hopes to be our equiv. of elite. She is 9. There is NO WAY she'd deal with that number of hours, nor could I imagine it healthy (physically or mentally). And she needs a life outside of gym.

I'd have her outta there in a heartbeat.

Can't go to a doctor's appointment? That's just crazy, if it were the week before an elite qualifier-okay, that makes sense....but every week? Is it really the gym or is it the mom's interpretation??

It's a make or break situation. The gym collects promising kids, and then trains them as if they were on their way to the olympics.

For those of you who have young girls (ie age 8-10, level 8-9, on the "elite track"), what is the norm for hours/wk? I may have misunderstood our conversation but that is how both my DH and I interpreted what was said; you never know, it may have just as easily been an excuse or an embellishment. Hopefully, that is the case...

For those of you who have young girls (ie age 8-10, level 8-9, on the "elite track"), what is the norm for hours/wk? I may have misunderstood our conversation but that is how both my DH and I interpreted what was said; you never know, it may have just as easily been an excuse or an embellishment. Hopefully, that is the case...
10 years old and 30 hours a week. I can't imagine any more time.

Where does the school part fit in there? I just don't buy into the homeschool thing of 3 or 4 hrs and gym the rest of the time.

It's a make or break situation. The gym collects promising kids, and then trains them as if they were on their way to the olympics.

I can see this type of schedule maybe in the build up to an Olympics or World Championships, but for an 8 or 9 year old? Seems excessive and a great way to alienate them from their peers and more than likely injure them.

Yes, if you are serious about gymnastics, you need to learn at a young age that it is a priority and there are sacrifices to be made along the way. But that many hours, at that age, for the next 8 years or so to get to Snr Elite will probably get you nothing but injured. Or at the very least very angry that you lost your whole childhood to a dream you couldn't fully imagine or make for yourself. Let's face it -- parents (and coaches) are making the decisions for you at that age. I just don't see how that setup would be good for anyone long term.

We are very committed to gymnastics and do make it a priority, but I would never sign my DD up for that kind of schedule.

Where does the school part fit in there? I just don't buy into the homeschool thing of 3 or 4 hrs and gym the rest of the time.
The homeschooling thing happens at the gym. Apparently, the girls are on some sort of accelerated curriculum.

That's way too many hours at 9....for any track. Really, unless you're about to go to the olympics in a month maybe, that's too many hours.

If it takes rules to make an elite, then the kid that obeys the most rules becomes the olympic champion?

Suggestions and recommendations are fine because there are some kids, and their parents, who want to know what it takes to be one of the best. Even then it's improbable to become an elite, much less a national team member, because there's a small number of talented kids that don't need to be told anything other than to slow down and save something for the next practice....... that's the only suggestion they need, and they often ignore it.

Could she be doing 42 hours there total like 20 hours of school and then 22 hours of gym time? That might make more sense to me. I've never heard of a kid practicing a sport that many hours a day at that age.

Well, my kid is 9 and goes 25 hours a week. If I add her schooling to that, it is just over your 48 hours (about 50). It is the no life otherwise that gets me. I live by the motto "work hard, play hard". A child like mine who invests so much of herself to one specific thing, gymnastics, deserves to enjoy the benefits of life as much as I can arrange outside of it.

Yes we agree to invest into her dreams, but I don't want a crumpled up little girl with no ability to fit into the real world afterwards, should she decide it is too much, get hurt, etc.

I would clarify with your friend. It doesn't sound right. My daughter turned 9 a few days ago and is training similar levels as your friend's child. My daughter also does home schooling. She has split workouts. So she goes in mid to late morning and trains 3 hours takes a 1 1/2 hour lunch and school break, then goes back to gym for another 3 hours. She loves it! She is done with gym and some school work by mid to late afternoon. She comes home to finish school ( usually reading and history or science, other subjects are done before practice.) she is usually a free bird by 6:00 p.m. every night. She is free to play video games, watch TV, take a bath, fight with her sister, etc. It works out much better than the old way of full school days and coming home at 8:30-9:00 p.m., she was always tired then.
As far as no sleepovers, I would clarify. Our gym discourages sleepovers, but encourages friends and play times. No one gets any kind of poductive sleep at a sleepover and the sleep deprivation can lead to an injury according to our coach. So we just end our play dates before bedtime. Our doctor's appointments are encouraged after practice. If a gymmie must do an appointment before practice then they come to the afternoon practice instead (according to coach- because they may be tired and it sets them up for injury.) I would be willing to bet this is more the case of your friend and her daughter. It is a common schedule for TOPS, HOPES and ELITES.
It is not a life for everyone or every family. My daughter loves it and is much happier with this daytime schedule. As long as she continues to love it I will support her. She is learning so much more by home schooling then she ever did in our school district. So, from an educational standpoint I will continue to home school her even if she quit gym.
Different gyms, different philosophies, finding the right combination for each child is the key. Ask your friend for more information before you judge her. She may have given you the down and dirty quick response without all of the details. The devil is in the details! It may be that all school and gym is done at gym. She may even be counting commute and break time in that estimate.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back