WAG Essay topic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Angelina2026

Gymnast
Reaction score
Im writing a 10 page essay and speech for English on gymnastics, but I need a topic for it any ideas?

Do you have any more specific guidelines? Is the goal of the essay to be informative, or persuasive, or something else?

If it's simply an informative essay, here are some ideas off the top of my head:
-How and why gymnastics has changed through the years. You could focus on advancements in equipment, or coaching technique, or the evolution of the rules, or some combination thereof. How has this evolution been influence by the rise of the internet?
-Simone Biles. A biography, with an exploration into the enormous influence she's had on the sport, ranging from inventing skills, to controversies, to her decision to drop from the 2020 Olympics and the cultural impact that has had within the sport
-If you're a tech nerd like me, you could also write about mechanics, technique, and progressions used in gymnastics training. I'm pretty sure I could write ten pages just about backhandspring development and technique and progressions and underlying theory, but that takes a certain level of tech nerddom that not everybody has.
-Larry Nassar. (Gonna be honest, I'd avoid this one, because getting into any detail at all will need all sorts of trigger warnings. But there is easily ten pages that could be written about it.)

If it's supposed to be a persuasive essay, here are some ideas that jump to mind:
-Did Simone Biles make the correct call in dropping from the 2020 Olympics? Why or why not?
-Did FIG make the correct decision in switching to open-ended scoring? Why or why not?
-Who is the greatest gymnast of all time, and why is it Simone Biles?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back