Parents Experience with Spondylolysis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wildrosejmj

Proud Parent
My daughter is 14, and a level 6 gymnast. She was recently diagnosed with spondylolysis and I'd like to hear from other parents who's kids have dealt with this, just to see what others have experienced and how it was treated. She been off of practice for about 10 weeks now with physical therapy, and there has only been minimal improvement. She just had an MRI done this week to rule out anything else that could be wrong, and the doctor has mentioned a brace which we are considering at this point.

Is there anyone who has dealt with this and would like to share their experience?

Thanks, Jen

That's strange that they didn't put her in a brace from the beginning. Was it a "stress fracture" or "stress reaction"?
When DD had a stress fracture (spondylolysis) she was put in a brace right away. She was in a hard brace 24 hours a day for the first 6 weeks, then only during physical activity for another 6 weeks, then in a soft brace for another 6 weeks.

Yeah, not my favourite topic. Mine was never in a brace of any kind. They say rest is the best treatment. Mine never healed and ended up with surgery.

Basically she should avoid any backward bending skills forever, no matter what. She needs time off and she should hope it heals. Also physio to strengthen all the supporting muscles in her core.

Best of luck, but honestly a back is for life and gymnastics is just not worth it when it comes to spinal injuries.

Feel free to message me.

My daughter is now 15 and was a level 9 gymnast when she had to end her season. It began over 2 years ago and she is finally healing. She has her heart set on returning to full training, getting her skills back and competing next year. We'll see if that's reality.
She was in a hard brace for 6 weeks with complete rest. Once the brace came off she started PT and has been doing PT for months and months. She has now missed 2 competition seasons between that and a hamstring stress reaction injury that ended her first level 9 season 2 years ago. It was devastating.
What bogwoppit said is correct, lots of physio to strengthen her core.
I wish your daughter the best. The key for us was finally finding the right doctor to treat it properly. I wish I knew then what I know now!

My level 9, 14 year old DD was diagnosed with a stress reaction of her L4 in September 2016. She was diagnosed by MRI. She was placed in a brace for 6 weeks. We started PT two weeks after diagnosis, which lasted a total of 9 weeks. She was only out of the gym for about 6 weeks. She was allowed to return in November but only did light skills. In December she started bigger skills , but had pain so she pulled back. She is now back to full training and no pain as far as I am aware. The curious thing is several girls in her gym were diagnosed with an actual fracture and have been off for only a month. I have learned that doctors treat this condition very differently even within the same practice. She is unable to compete until March due to meet schedule. It has been a frustrating year!

Kipper was diagnosed with a unilateral stress reaction in L5, no confirmed fracture. The doc explained that a fracture (where lines are visible on an x-ray) does not normally heal completely. However; it can be managed. In Kipper's case, he was actually more conservative because she had the opportunity to completely heal. After 2 weeks rest, she was in a brace for 2 weeks. She was out for over 10 weeks with nothing but PT and an exercise bike, then gradually increased activity over a 4 week period, but no back extension (arching) 0r pounding. Finally released this week for gradual return to normal. (it has been 4 months) Others in her gym have had confirmed fractures. One returned to competition this season after missing all of last year and most of the year before. Another has been out since May and is still experiencing some pain with daily activities. There was a younger, smaller kid who healed quickly and bounced back fast. (3 months) It seems that recovery varies a lot between gymnasts. Since your dd is 14, it is possible she has had this condition for a long time and it was a-symptomatic and went diagnosed. Puberty seems to be the biggest risk factor. I agree that finding a good doctor who understands gymnastics is critical!

Very similar to JoyAvenueMom except my DD (13.5 at the time) had a bilateral stress reaction of the L4 (diagnosed by MRI after X-ray was clear). Doctor also treated her very conservatively because hers had a chance to fully heal - so in a brace for 12 weeks and then PT for another 2 months before being released to return to the gym. Others at the gym with full fractures that were "old" tend to be released faster but then may have continued problems on and off (some have and some haven't).

Please don't get mad guys- your kid should look for a different sport. The next 1-5 years may not be a problem and maybe she can do gymnastics again, but the issue is when she it 20, 30, 40 years old. What is the risk reward benefit here? I understand she loves it, but you must find something else she loves. Her back, spine is not worth a few years of gymnastics........
There are a few at our gym.....one with spinal fusion......I just don't understand why put a mid level gymnast in this risk.....are there stories of L10s and elites going through it? Sure, but their risk-reward perhaps was very different.
I also know a few 30 years olds who live in constant pain from back issues in gymnastics.
I'm sorry. I know gymnastics is truly a passion......perhaps she can begin grooming herself to coach? 14 is not too young?

Please don't get mad guys- your kid should look for a different sport. The next 1-5 years may not be a problem and maybe she can do gymnastics again, but the issue is when she it 20, 30, 40 years old. What is the risk reward benefit here? I understand she loves it, but you must find something else she loves. Her back, spine is not worth a few years of gymnastics........
There are a few at our gym.....one with spinal fusion......I just don't understand why put a mid level gymnast in this risk.....are there stories of L10s and elites going through it? Sure, but their risk-reward perhaps was very different.
I also know a few 30 years olds who live in constant pain from back issues in gymnastics.
I'm sorry. I know gymnastics is truly a passion......perhaps she can begin grooming herself to coach? 14 is not too young?

Well, we'd been fighting this for 2 years before finally deciding to quit. And over that time I read many success stories here on CB and in other places on the web of kids who did overcome the back injury and went ahead to continue with the successful gymnastics career. That's partially what kept me going, trying different doctors, different techniques, exercises, etc. All to no avail. She never got better, and finally we had to put an end to it. And unfortunately it seems that the damage in DD's back is permanent, and she would have to deal with some amount of back pain for the rest of her life. Do I wish I'd make her quit gymnastics at the first sign of the back problems? Absolutely!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back