Fall states vs. spring states for levels 4-6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Can someone explain to me the difference in approach to states? Why do some gyms have their levels 4-6 compete at fall states vs. spring states? What is the benefit to one over the other? Thanks!

you mean, you have a choice? At least-out here our 4-6's state competitions are held in November. Only boys and optionals have states in the spring(march/april). Only one state meet per level, per year.

I don't know exactly the pros or cons, but in our state the group of gyms in the fall is much smaller than the group in the spring. All the big invitationals and such are in the spring, probably because there is no optionals in the fall. Some gyms in our area compete both fall and spring.

Our gym uses the fall season meets to score out of levels, but that is about it.

I would be interested why gyms choose to do one or the other or both, just for curiosity's sake. Interesting question. Thanks!

Yes, in my state, gyms have a choice. I believe they can only do one or the other. Gym size does not seem to be a factor. It must be the coach's preference, but I don't know much else. Would love to hear from others with experience on this topic.

Our gym does Fall State Meet for Level 2-4 and also for Prep - Op (Excel). I believe it is so that they can move up and also compete Spring State in a different level if they are ready. Alex just had her state meet this past weekend.

Level 5-10 have a Spring State. I don't think there is even an option for a fall state for level 5-10 here.

Our gym does both, but fall is much, much smaller. Basically, there is one meet that is available for girls who need a mobility score. But all girls can compete for pre-season practice. And HC lets girls compete, even if they don't have all their events yet. If you qualify (and you weren't just going for mobility), you go to fall sectionals and then states.

By Spring season (which starts January), girls are not allowed to compete unless they have all 4 events.

In MA, where my DD competes, we only have spring states (as far as I know) for all USAG levels. We start competing in October though. ??

here in NC Compulsory States are in December and Optional (including prep op) are in spring April or March.

Maybe it's a regional thing? Compulsory state here is in December and Optional State is March. There's not 2 compulsory state meets here to choose from.

We only have Spring States for all levels. Season runs from about October through March or April

Until this year, we had a fall states and a spring states, and our compulsories would compete both seasons. I believe most gyms around here did that as well. This year, though, the format changed and there is just one season with states in the spring.

Just a hunch, so that the coaches can concentrate on the higher levels (L8-L10) states, regionals and nationals meets? These meets are from March to May in our region. In addition, one can argue, the girls have more practice time getting ready for the next season. Thefellowsmom and Alexgymmymom's explanation sound good too (used to score out and move up two levels). Some gyms also use it as "practice" for the regular states where a great majority of the gymnasts compete. Our gym does not do early states. Early states for compulsories are in Jan. and the "regular" states, depending on level, is between May and June. Early states is usually a very small group as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back