Parents Flat Feet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes they both can. They can cause pain in the knees, ankles, hips and spine.

With flat feet it is about alignment, if your foot has no arch then your ankles roll in, which throws everything off in a big chain reaction. For some this causes pain.

Hypermobility causes joint pain, lots of it.

Having both is not fun at all.

I think (or hope) that by doing gymnastics it helps my dd by means of exercising, I have been told that you shouldn't do any high contact sport like Football and Rugby, my dd came home with a letter for an after school Rugby club and I had to say no, pleased that she was keen to do it though lol. My dd's GP is aware that she does gymnastics (he had to sign a Disability Classification form that British Gymnastics require if you want to compete) and has asked for a list of exercises she does in gymnastics. I am grateful that there is a disability class at our gym that enables dd to take part as she would be able to cope in the regular classes.

The taping will go well with the X brace and the heel cup she already has, I think. Goodness, they are worse than race horses, I swear! (Used to work at a track.)

We are going to try the Mueller arch strap which has a pad under the arch. Also, some taping if needed. Most important, i need to go and get him better sneakers and NO MORE slides!!
Last night we tried to make him ice bath his feet......he wouldn't.....Oh well, ill try again next time.

Soooo...tiger paws for floor and vault, wrists taped for pommel, arches taped for floor/vault, general life, his hands are already taped up regularly for various rips, maybe I should just tape the whole kid?

Seriously, gym may not be the "best" type of exercise for him, with his hypermobility, but he loves it right now...and until/unless he develops something serious, as long as the discomfort is worth it to him, we'll just invest in tape and ice packs!

Soooo...tiger paws for floor and vault, wrists taped for pommel, arches taped for floor/vault, general life, his hands are already taped up regularly for various rips, maybe I should just tape the whole kid?

Seriously, gym may not be the "best" type of exercise for him, with his hypermobility, but he loves it right now...and until/unless he develops something serious, as long as the discomfort is worth it to him, we'll just invest in tape and ice packs!

If you saw my younger dd's (15 now) collection of sports supports and braces you would feel some kinship with me. Honestly it would be hilarious if it wasn't so awful. I let her stay in gym until her knees just wouldn't let her any more, then she did cheer, hurt her hips and knees, tried tramp, killed her back. Now she is a sofa sloth who plays minecraft.

My daughter's coach just informed me that my daughter has flat feet and this thread is now making me realize that this is going to be more of a problem than I thought. Does flat feet always cause these problems? Ugh! Another thing to add t the list!

flat feet are super common. DD also had them when younger but now at 12 her arches are no issue whatsoever (really just her brain is her gym issue!). Not sure how old your kiddo is, but at 8 she ran with totally flat feet for vault, etc...

There is a lot you can do to strengthen the arch and foot in general, especially in a younger child that currently has no/minimal pain. My daughter has exercises from her pt to do to strengthen her mid-foot area. We're on week 3 of doing it and she's not had any more pain at this point (achilles). Even though she is extremely flexible, her lower calves were very tight and that was contributing to the problem as well.

Everyone THINKS I have flat feet... but looking at my footprints after stepping in water, it is apparent that I don't... and even more apparent when my arches "try to fall" - OH THE PAIN. I agree that taping helps.

My OG is in the club with all those gymnasts with a collection of braces, etc... 2 knee braces (actually 5... depending on the support needed), 3 ankle braces (along with pre-wrap and tape depending on what is needed that day for ankles), tiger paws, elbow sleeve (rarely needed), 2 wrist braces (bought pre-tiger paws, still used on occasion outside of gym).

Also want to be in the ban flip flops club... Yesterday, YG stepped on a tack at recess in her flip flops and had to miss gym. :( I have never liked flip flops myself and REALLY hate the $1-2 flip flops the girls tend to wear.

flat feet are super common. DD also had them when younger but now at 12 her arches are no issue whatsoever (really just her brain is her gym issue!). Not sure how old your kiddo is, but at 8 she ran with totally flat feet for vault, etc...

D is that way too. RUns on his heels (really his whole foot but looks like he is on his heels.) He has gotten better, and the coaches just remind him to lean forward.

My daughter is 9 so hopefully the flat feet will fix themselves and go away. Until then, I guess findng some exercises for her won't hurt. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back