Parents Flipfest camp hair question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
My kids are going to flip fest the 2nd week of camp. My twins will turn 9 the week before and I know that my girl twin will be find doing her own hair. My concern is my just turned 7 year old. She has long (down to her lower back) hair that is *really* thick. I'm really considering cutting it; but no way I'm cutting it up to her shoulders or shorter. It is so thick (though straight, so at least not curly) that she has a hard time doing more than just brushing it. She can't braid yet and when she does her own pony tails they aren't very reliable. I'm thinking that I'll do a pretty tight french braid that should get her through day 1 and 2; but after that something will have to be done with her hair. Do the councilors help the little kids at all with a pony tail as long as the kid has brushed her hair?

Why don't you have it cornrowed before she goes?

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

I agree, when my girls were little I would either cornrow or braid their hair. Looked cute and was easy to manage.

Counsellors do not usually do hair.

Any chance big sister can help ? Even if they are not in the same cabin she might be able to do a quick ponytail for her little sister at breakfast. Also, you should let her know if she needs help with anything she should tell her counselor. I think you have some good ideas, shorter hair cut, braids or cornrows and have her practice doing her hair as much as possible. She will have a blast and get to practice all of those big girl skills - taking care of herself, asking for help, getting along with others.

Could her sister do a quick pony tail and then plait it for her? Or are they not going to be near each other?
Just a pony tail with long thick hair will get in her way and also a week of gym it would be a matted mess by the end.
Or the cornrows is a good idea.

I've never done cornrows and I'm not sure I can see her being able to stand them (tender headed). Though I did just think of maybe doing one of those lattice style things with the little rubber bands. Big sister is good for a pony tail; but her braids aren't tight enough to last for a full day. I think I'll work on teaching big sis to braid better (they are supposed to be in the same cabin - at least I requested it) and also start experimenting now with how long different hair styles can last...

haha. I tried the lattice style yesterday; but did it starting with dry hair and no gel. It didn't even make it through practice. I'm going to try it tonight on wet hair and see if that goes better.:)

I don't know, if I was a counselor to a bunch of 7 year olds living away from home, I'd be prepared to put in a few ponytails throughout the week. Our coaches even redo hair through a 3 hour practice for kids whose hair falls out. That's a pretty young kid.

For the lattice use a spray bottle with water and put some gel in it. I have put the lattice in for a meet and had it last for two weeks after wards. Just remember if they wear cornrows or the lattice then they need to spray sunscreen on their scalps or it will burn. You can buy sports spray that is clear. We learned this the hard way!!!

I'd say have it cut short enough that a basic ponytail doesn't get in her way and then just let the counselor know that she may need help with her hair in the morning. Be sure you get good quality "no slip" pony tail holders so that it won't have to be put back in repeatedly. And don't worry too much about it. Your daughter will not be the only one in this situation. I'm not sure what they do at Flip Fest, but at Woodward the counselors for the campers 10 and under are actual moms, not college students, and can be counted on to make sure hair is up, teeth are brushed, etc.

I would cut it like Mary suggested, hope her sisters can help with a ponytail, but agree that a counselor can help put up a simple ponytail if needed. No need to stress :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back