For all you cheer haters..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LOL callie, it was a general reference of the random things they allow to become an Olympic sport. If frisbee can be at the Olympics, then why should cheer leading not be included, if they allow something as obstranuous as frisbee? Who considers frisbee a sport? Unless it's your dog competing it:D I was not even inferring that there is no talent required for cheerleading, there is. So sorry if you took it that way, it's not how it was meant

Last edited:
no condeming involved Just my opinion. I guess its all in what we consider the definition of a sport for the olympics is.

I went and did some research on what defines an Olympic sport.
Here is the official rule and bye-laws used to determine Olympic sports for each Olympics:
picto_link.gif
The Olympic Charter, Chapter 5, Rule 46 and its Bye-law, p. 86-91

Here you can look at all Olympic sports and all recognized sports which are not currently competed at the Olympic games:
INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE - SPORTS

I looked for Frisbee and for dance as an Olympic or recognized sport. Dance Sport is a recognized sport. You can find links to it through the link above. Frisbee, however is not listed anywhere. I did find this interesting article about frisbee trying to become an Olympic or recognized sport:
Olympic Special Feature: Is Ultimate Frisbee Worthy of Olympic Status? CONNECTICUT SPORTS LAW

Now to stand on my soapbox and state my opinion. I am not a fan of cheer. I will never be a fan of cheer. If it became an Olympic Sport I would not watch it, and I would probably be incensed about it falling under the gymnastics umbrella because it includes tumbling - most often really bad, scary tumbling. As mentioned before, this would most likely diminish further the number of artistic/rhythmic/T&T athletes competing at the games. If it wants to become an Olympic sport I think it has a very long way to go before it meets the criteria. I would also like it to become much more polished and precise like sync swimming, or even group gymnastics or group rhythmic which are not competed at the Olympics(as far as I can tell).
jmho

I think that cheerleading is definitely trying to be more portrayed as "athletic" and gymnastics-like. My dd's old team has new uniforms that look just like....gymnastics leos!!!

F5uni.jpg

And for the upcoming 2009-2010 season, they are dropping the bottom age for the Senior Level 1 through 4 divisions to 18 and under, making it LEGAL for a 7 or 8 yr old to be on a senior team. This year will be very interesting to see how many senior teams will use "babies" as fliers. For me personally, I think that the minimum age for a senior team should be no less than 10, but realistically it should be 12 years old. What is the challenge in tossing a 50 lb 7 yr old by 125 lb bases????

Last edited:
It's the bling and make up that put me off, not the fact that it is a brutal sport. I would prefer Olympic sports not to be about the look and more about the skill and hard work.

You have hit the nail on the head. When a sport becomes more about the costume, glitter, plastered on smile, it needs to go, aheem Rhythmic. Perhaps we can replace Rhythmic with cheer, since it really is turning into the pimple on the arse of gymnastics with all the scandals, judging controversy, skirts, Viner pimping her gymnasts out to the Mafia, and the Derugians (sp).

Dance is considered to be a sport; anything that you can compete against others is technically a sport. Somewhere someone suggested that their be four Olympics, Winter, Historical, and two others which split all the newer Olympic sports.

They can come up with all the justification they want and you know what....I won't buy it. I don't like cheer except for the gymnastics aspects of it. Yes, its a little like gymnastics, but instead of being a little like gymnastics, cheerleaders could actually DO gymnastics, which is more difficult to master (since cheer is pretty much just floor type skills).

Pretty much all my cousins and aunts were or are cheerleaders... i own a sweatshirt that says we're gymnasts not cheerleaders. however i do think MOST cheerleaders do deserve alot of respect for their hard work. it just really ticks me off when they think they are amazing cuz they can chuck a handspring. but if they can really tumble, annd dont think they are better than gymnasts just cuz they have a reputation thats great! technically both are great sports and if really good cheerleaders one day an join the olympics then il watch and enjoy it!

Great post!

I would really like to see where it says that a 7 year old can be on a SR. team. Love F5!!!!

I think that cheerleading is definitely trying to be more portrayed as "athletic" and gymnastics-like. My dd's old team has new uniforms that look just like....gymnastics leos!!!

F5uni.jpg

And for the upcoming 2009-2010 season, they are dropping the bottom age for the Senior Level 1 through 4 divisions to 18 and under, making it LEGAL for a 7 or 8 yr old to be on a senior team. This year will be very interesting to see how many senior teams will use "babies" as fliers. For me personally, I think that the minimum age for a senior team should be no less than 10, but realistically it should be 12 years old. What is the challenge in tossing a 50 lb 7 yr old by 125 lb bases????

You have hit the nail on the head. When a sport becomes more about the costume, glitter, plastered on smile, it needs to go, aheem Rhythmic. Perhaps we can replace Rhythmic with cheer, since it really is turning into the pimple on the arse of gymnastics with all the scandals, judging controversy, skirts, Viner pimping her gymnasts out to the Mafia, and the Derugians (sp).

Dance is considered to be a sport; anything that you can compete against others is technically a sport. Somewhere someone suggested that their be four Olympics, Winter, Historical, and two others which split all the newer Olympic sports.

I am very familiar with such teams that you are refering to in cheer. All that bling is b.c they don't have the skills to own the floor. The gym we come from is very respectible and appropriate for the girls age. Remember the judges are very far from the floor so that make up helps make the girls pop.

They can come up with all the justification they want and you know what....I won't buy it. I don't like cheer except for the gymnastics aspects of it. Yes, its a little like gymnastics, but instead of being a little like gymnastics, cheerleaders could actually DO gymnastics, which is more difficult to master (since cheer is pretty much just floor type skills).

Cheer is extremely FUN to participate and watch, where as gymnastics is very serious. If you have never been to a real competition, you need to go and see what it's all about. You don't have to like it, but maybe you could see why they chose cheer over gymnastics.

This is our first year of gymnastics and I am scared for my dd. She's all alone out there and the scores fall on to her shoulders.

Explain to me how a face that 'pop's ' is athletic? Sorry I'd much rather see a double back or a 2.5 twist than a made up face. I think it will be a very long time before cheer will make it to the Olympic stage simply because worldwide there is not the same level of participation to push it through.

I think it is unfair to call cheer fun and gymnastics serious. Some kids are serious on the competition floor, but they still have fun (except the ones who are doing it for someone else). Nadia was a very serious gymnast, but she claims she would do it all over. I am sure cheer is not fun 100% of the time (is anything?) and every club/group/situation is different.

This is pure joy - to watch and obviously for the gymnast performing it.
YouTube - Oksana Omelianchik FX 1986 World Cup EF

Explain to me how a face that 'pop's ' is athletic? Sorry I'd much rather see a double back or a 2.5 twist than a made up face. I think it will be a very long time before cheer will make it to the Olympic stage simply because worldwide there is not the same level of participation to push it through.

I think it is unfair to call cheer fun and gymnastics serious. Some kids are serious on the competition floor, but they still have fun (except the ones who are doing it for someone else). Nadia was a very serious gymnast, but she claims she would do it all over. I am sure cheer is not fun 100% of the time (is anything?) and every club/group/situation is different.

This is pure joy - to watch and obviously for the gymnast performing it.
YouTube - Oksana Omelianchik FX 1986 World Cup EF

Great post! Love the video! I do agree in that it may take some time for cheerleading to be an olympic sport just simply because not too many other countries even recognize it as a sport. Not yet at least.

At 2009 Cheerleading Worlds in May Bangkok Thailand put on a fabulous show. Their stunting was pretty amazing!! Here is the video:

YouTube - Bangkok University Cheerleading Worlds 2009

I think as long as there is the "Cheerleading Worlds", then this will satisfy most cheerleaders since this competition is their "Olympics" so to speak.

I do agree that all star cheerleading is starting to evolve and become more gymnastic like. I do also know with cheerleading it is hard to know and compare as there are so many "national" competitions. My daughter, 14 is training in synchronized swimming for the only Age Group Nationals in another two weeks and since school is out she has been training twice a days and 30 hours a week (this doesn't include any cross training). She is only a club swimmer, not elite, and not from one of the top clubs in the country. I may be wrong, and I am sure cheerleaders put in a lot of hours and training, but I don't believe it is as much as gymnastics or this.

I really don't know much about it, but I would hate to see inclusion of cheerleading in any way diminish the coverage or inclusion of gymnastics in the Olympics. Again, I hate to put any sport down because of the continual problems synchro has with it, so I will be happy to watch and enjoy cheerleading.

BTW- I am putting a link to a video on youtube. This is a collegiate team. I wanted the gymnasts to appreciate the core strangth, extension and feet of the swimmers. I also wanted everyone to know this is not Esther William's synchro.

YouTube - US Collegiates 2009 - Ohio State A Team Routine

Pineapple, I have a friend who can do a double full and she is 10 on a cheer team. Seeing tumbling done by 4 girls at a time throwing fulls in sync is amazing. The girls on the cheer floor are out there having a great time and it shows. In gymnastics it's very serious. I never said it wasn't fun, but if you weigh cheer comps to gym meets, cheer rules. You have 30 parents cheering for 1 team or if you are a Stingray or a TopGun you have hundreds watching you. You don't get that until the olympics in gymnastics, that's why cheer is more "fun."

I guess I am not the quiet type of parent who can just sit and watch. I am one of those crazy people who cheers as loud as they can, no matter what my children are doing. I will tell you on the softball or baseball field my kids know I am there supporting them. It's hard for me to contain myself.

Gymnastics has always amazed me and I am in awe over what these girls can do!

The glitter, uniforms, bling, and plastered on smile might turn some people off to cheerleading, but it makes the routine all the more challenging. The all-star team I was on was all high school students, so not only was I throwing girls into the air that taller than me, but you have to make it look effortless and fun.

And please stop generalizing all cheerleader's tumbling abilities. Some cheerleaders do have very sketchy tumbling skills, but at the eight cheerleading competitions I was at this year there were plenty of cheerleaders with better skills than me.

Gymnastics requires a completely different mindset to cheerleading - that of individual perfection - comparing the two is like apples to oranges. I think you would get more support for cheerleading being an olympic sport if you posted on the 'cheer' thread on this board, but for the most part, people contribute because they love gymnastics.

Millions of people all over the world watch gymnastics at the Olympics, thousands of people watch gymnastics at major competitions all over Europe and hundreds of people watch local competitions. There are gymnastic display groups who travel all over the world for large sums of money, most of cirque du soleil are gymnasts. As for being 'fun' - that is I think quite subjective - my DD hates make-up (she is a bit of a tomboy) and refuses to tumble on anything but a fully sprung floor so I don't think she would find it much 'fun'.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back