WAG For those of you that have switched gyms.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Was it a difficult decision?
My DD is 9 and has been at this gym for 7 years. It is like her second family.
For the past 2 years at least we've been struggling with not having adequate coaching staff, coaches not correcting and cleaning up routines and now my DD has said the coach she works most with (who is not HC) just gives her a snarky attitude all the time.
We have to schedule privates to fix any issues and the same techniques used by the HC in the privates are never used in practice.
If my DD could work with the HC all the time we would be good, but even he has gotten sketchy.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing but our new gym is still owned by the same owner and my DD already knows the coaches there.

So where do I find that little push I need to commit to the switch? And should it really feel this hard?

Was it a difficult decision?
My DD is 9 and has been at this gym for 7 years. It is like her second family.
For the past 2 years at least we've been struggling with not having adequate coaching staff, coaches not correcting and cleaning up routines and now my DD has said the coach she works most with (who is not HC) just gives her a snarky attitude all the time.
We have to schedule privates to fix any issues and the same techniques used by the HC in the privates are never used in practice.
If my DD could work with the HC all the time we would be good, but even he has gotten sketchy.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing but our new gym is still owned by the same owner and my DD already knows the coaches there.

So where do I find that little push I need to commit to the switch? And should it really feel this hard?
we just switched last month. It was a little hard, but only because of mid meet season. We were at the other gym 2 years. We were at a previous gym 2 1/2 years. I hope to be at our new gym for a while, or if we have to leave for any reasons, it'll be for good reasons. If you are paying for privates that you feel you shouldn't have to, then it probably is time to cut the cord.

We had been at our old gym for 8 years from when older DD was 7. She never wanted to leave, even though I knew in my heart that we should..we hung on and I watched her struggle for several years. When DD2 was 10, finishing level 7 and knew she was not progressing as much as she wanted to, she knew she wanted much more, she was and is a very driven individual. By then my oldest was ready to 'retire'. DD2 could not wait to go to a new gym. She walked into new gym and never looked back. She has since blossomed as we never could have imagined.

We switched about 2 1/2 years ago. It was very hard on the front end... Making the decision, anticipating the change, endless discussions with DD, telling the coaches. The change itself was actually very easy. DD bonded with her new teammates almost immediately and thrived in her new surroundings.

People who have been on this board a while have heard me give this advice before. Don't leave the choice up to your DD. I tried doing it that way, and it saddled her with a ton of guilt. She made long lists of reasons to stay vs reasons to go, and even though her "go" list was way longer than her "stay" list, the choice was still eating her up. Ultimately she begged me to tell her coaches that it was MY choice, and that's what I did. Of course, every kid is different, and I'm sure some kids do ok making this kind if decision. But for my kid (she was 10, by the way), it was too much.

If you believe your fortunes should be only as good as your first mistake, then stay. Sure it's possible you made the right choice when choosing the first gym, but more likely than not it was a shot in the dark. Consider all the options available and, now that you've been aound the block, follow your intuition.... after doing a lot of research.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back