Front Flyspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

you start doing a front handspring in level 5, not a front flyspring though. i think you can do flysprings in level 7 or 8? i might be wrong. i'm a level 7 and i do front handspring with a front tuck after but there are a lot of passes you can do.

Oops sorry! I though it said what is a flyspring! But yeah, like beamlove said, it is about a level 7/8 skill. I'm prep op advanced, and I connect a flyspring to a front tuck.

Right now it isn't in the compulsory routines, but that might change in the next cycle...I can't remember for sure right now but thought front handspring flyspring option was in the level 6 plans. Maybe someone else could confirm or elaborate.

For learning I would say about a level 5 skill (my opinion), some level 4s could do it. it's a very basic skill, basically it is like the forward version of a back handspring we are talking about, so a child with good flexibility and fast muscle twitch is probably going to be able to do this pretty soon after introduction. By level 6 some connection readiness is ideal, i.e. two flysprings, front handspring flyspring. By level 7 we're pretty much expecting them to have a FHS FT, so they should be able to do FHS flyspring before that.

(Also I call it a bounder so typing all that was painfully awkward :) )

Last edited:
In level 7 someone could do a front tuck into a flyspring for a front pass... (I'm pretty sure. I competed it awhile ago)

I prefer to teach it before a back handspring.

In a series, it is generally connected after a gymnast can do front handspring step out to front handspring.

I prefer to teach it before a back handspring.

In a series, it is generally connected after a gymnast can do front handspring step out to front handspring.

Actually I agree with this, for older rec gymnasts and cheer. That's not the path I take for littler ones who are on track for L4, but that's more driven by time and what I feel is the more pressing skill progression issues, which is to perfect the RO and start shaping the BHS so we can get going on good RO BHS asap. But I didn't really think of it when I answered earlier, I guess because I was thinking more floor rotation than vaulting, but I do teach from vaulting boards/tramp to stacked mats to do the bounder (before/at the same time as L4 vault) and also to do donkey kicks and bounders on tramp and track. And most of them can do it.

For the older ones it's "easier" because it's less scary but they can still apply the corrections, generally, and gain more confidence. Often in cheer classes I've had the girls doing front tucks before they can do the BHS. It helps them gain awareness and confidence with less of a fear factor, and less heavy spotting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back