Parents Funniest/Wierdest/Strangest.... Place Your Gymmie Has Done Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just had to share this because it is kind of funny and strange but if you knew my dd, it fits. We went to a wedding last weekend and we stayed in a hotel. Everyone knows how spacious hotel bathrooms can be. My dd was waiting for her turn in the shower and she was sitting on the closed toilet seat. Of course she just can't sit still for more than a second so she started doing press handstands on the toilet seat like it was a mushroom in the gym. I have heard of the edge of the bathtub, but the toilet...?
Who else has funny, strange, or even cool stories to share?

Cartwheels down the aisle at the grocery store when she was three. She said it was like the tumbling strip at gym! EEK!

I'm too old now, but back in the day when I was a gymnast, hotel hallways always seemed like a perfect runway for tumbling. I still think about tumbling down hotel hallways...it is sort of like a non-bouncy tumble trak. Of course we didn't even have bouncy floors in my day.:eek:

Definitely the cartwheels in the grocery stores but thankfully they don't do that anymore really. They have composed and performed whole "floor routines" in our pool. Amusing to watch LOL My step DD sometimes does handstands on the landing of our stairs but I nix that when I see it. Headstands on the couch and vaulting over the footboard of my bed...sigh lol :p

After watching the 2000 Olympics when my dd was 3yo she started "vaulting" by running down the hall and throwing herself over her play table. (Really wish I had taped that!)
She has also done gymnastics in the grocery store, the beach, at chess club, birthday parties (non-gym), etc, etc. Luckily, as she gets older more of gymnastics stays in the gym.

Not too strange but still has the eeeeww "cooties" factor....the wrestling mats after my son is done with a meet or practice. One time she was doing ROBHSBT (she loves to show off) and the Middle school boys had come onto the mats after the younger ones were done and they were so impressed they were trying to do cartwheels and handstands. Guess after watching an 8 yr old they thought it was easy. They were wrong! During baseball season she loves to do them in the grass after the games too, thinks the grass makes it nice and springy and fields that have artificial turf are the same as gym floor, LOL

After watching the 2000 Olympics when my dd was 3yo she started "vaulting" by running down the hall and throwing herself over her play table. (Really wish I had taped that!)
She has also done gymnastics in the grocery store, the beach, at chess club, birthday parties (non-gym), etc, etc. Luckily, as she gets older more of gymnastics stays in the gym.

Mine is 8 and still "vaults" in the house...runs to the sofa and throws her hands down on floor right at base and lands on sofa and flips backwards. I hate it!

MIne vaults onto my bed (and gets yelled at every time) when she is bored she will go into the splits wherever she is (like the waiting room at the mechanic, ugh!)
I think she was also impressing the other patrons with her back walkovers that day. She has been known to do it at doctor's waiting rooms too (which I am constantly saying "get up off of the floor!"):eek:

Where we go camping they have this huge tall swing set and she loves to climb the poles to it. It's a crack up because inevitably some 8YO boy will be down there and try doing it after she leaves. She makes it look easy, and they are always surprised they can't get their bodies more than a few feet up.;)

snowbound

Generally it isn't where has she done gymnastics it is where HASN'T she done them.

Her favorite thing right now is to do bar routines on the pull-up bars at the playground. But she also likes to do Children's Time at church in splits. Spontaneous cartwheels down any hallway.

Though my favorite, and this is more about conditioning, was the other day several of the youth at church had a push-up contest. She saw it and went to watch, and after they finished proceeded to beat the winning boys number by a solid 20. I think she stopped out of boredom honestly. Poor guy is 10 years older than her and the look on his face was hilarious.

On top of a tank

6568_1164997679542_1065870124_30852608_5154466_n.jpg
This is a pic of the 2009 U.S. Maccabiah Games team. I think mine has the stag pose.

When I was younger I remember doing handstand flatbacks and 1/2 ons onto my parents bed. I'd also do dive rolls over the bed by running down the hallway and throwing myself over the bed!

I'd also walk on my hands around the house and even open doors with my feet.

One of my friends taught herself to bhs off the arm of the sofa.

I always wanted to tumble down the aisle at church too, but was never brave enough!

Generally it isn't where has she done gymnastics it is where HASN'T she done them.

Her favorite thing right now is to do bar routines on the pull-up bars at the playground. But she also likes to do Children's Time at church in splits. Spontaneous cartwheels down any hallway.

Though my favorite, and this is more about conditioning, was the other day several of the youth at church had a push-up contest. She saw it and went to watch, and after they finished proceeded to beat the winning boys number by a solid 20. I think she stopped out of boredom honestly. Poor guy is 10 years older than her and the look on his face was hilarious.

This is exactly what my step-DD was doing when she slipped off and broke her collar bone! She had also used some lotion on her hand before they went out for recess. Ah, not the wisest choice lol

MY goal used to be to do cartweels, hhandstands, etc in every state/country I was in. It has become a family joke that everytime i am somewhere new a picture has to be taken upside down.
And let's see elevators, beaches, on fallen trees, chairs, church, against doors (learned quickly to make sure the door was latched), school hallways, hotel hallways are awesome...oh my poor parents.

One of my gymmies does cartwheels down the sidewalk when we take our dog for a walk. We've seen gymnastics done while shopping, in the church lobby, at school during math class, in our pool, the park you name it wherever there is a gymmie there is bound to be gymnastics. You can take the gymmie out of the gym but not gym out of the gymmie!

Last edited by a moderator:
The strangest place . . . would have to be in the hospital . . .

She was 6 and hospitalized for a week due to her asthma. Let me tell you she gives a new meaning to the term "happy wheezer"

Fully hooked up, oxygen tank, IV, monitor etc, leaps and jumps down the hallway. Picture if you will, me trying to keep up with her with the tank and pole! Once they unhooked her, big mistake, she was all over place. Cartwheels down the hallway - tumbles on the bed. The staff kept asking "are you going home today? you look fine!" :rolleyes: Then they would check her lungs and oxygen and say "nope, your not going home today. why don't you lay down!" :eek: And I did try and try to get her to lay down. The game room kept sending things to keep her sitting down - puzzles, games, crafts etc. So much energy and the meds had her antsy.

As much fun as she had - and yes, she did have fun - I would like to never repeat the experience

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back