Parents FYI-Bank Card

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wednesday, my husband got a letter from our bank with a new debit card. It said his card number may have been compromised and to dispose of his current card. If he noticed suspicous activity to contact the bank. The previous Friday, we noticed that his card would not swipe. My card would. (They go to the same account.) We assumed his magnetic strip was worn off.

So Thursday, he went to the ATM. Our bank account had been cleared out accept for a thousand dollars. SHOCKED! We rushed to the bank. We were able to pickout the activity that was not ours. Someone in California( we lieve in MS) went on a shopping spree. Several 500 dollar purchases at several differnt Walmarts, Nordstroms, DSW shoes, Ralphs, Dennys(a meal), and other places. We signed an affidative(sp) and had our money back yesterday. \\

According to the bank, an employee at the debit card manufactorer hacked the computers and stole numbers. Used those for shopping by creating new cards that they swiped like credit cards. So it was not online shopping that caused this or a phishing scheme or paypal. We are always careful with debit numbers and never use it for anything that would put it at risk. Thankfully, it was easily resolved.
So please check your accounts. We were the third set of people into our local branch bank with the same problem. This was a nationwide problem.

Wow, how scary. And how sad. I don't get how people can do that to someone. The bank employee should have been thankful to HAVE a job and not jeopardize it doing something like this. And what is wrong with people? We don't have a lot, but I would NEVER steal to get stuff either. :(

So glad that the bank got your money back!

Yes, but it wasn't the bank. It was the plant that actually makes the plastic cards! That is what is so shocking. I would never have thought it. So it was a national problem, not my bank's problem. Like I said shocking.

Same thing happened to us a week and a half ago.... Within half an hour, someone had debited our account and racked up almost 2,000 to stores such as Prada, Gamestop, etc.

Were the charges in CA? Like Long Beach, CA.. It must be the same group. It is so scary. Hope you were able to resolve it as easily as we were able to.

So sorry that happened to you. Last year someone booked airline tickets on ours for $800 a piece.

This just happened to my dad's debit card! Someone made a copy and bought a few very pricey things.. The bank thought it was suspicious because my parents don't normally spend like that, so they called and they are getting it straightened out. Lol that's wierd that they happened at the same time..

Scary! So glad you were able to get your money back with little problem. Guess I should be glad I never have thousands in my account, huh ;-)?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back