WAG Gabby Douglas reality show

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do a search on youtube. There was a "documentary" made at Parkettes some years ago, it really showed all the worst of the gym and was edited to make things look very bad. Still worth watching, but since that most gyms have avoided any kind of tv shows.

Then look at Stick It and then MIOBI, drama that nobody really wants in a gym, let alone out in public.

@wallinbl I am with you, this brings drama to the National Team that they really do not need.

I think Gabby is a fabulous gymnast and has clearly worked very hard to get back to this level, a reality show is not going to be a helpful training tool.
We were approached a few years ago about allowing a reality crew in our gym for our team ... No way

We were approached a few years ago about allowing a reality crew in our gym for our team ... No way

Yes, I don't understand why any gym would allow a reality TV crew on the premises. Wouldn't it attract the wrong kind of customers (crazy stage parents) and drive away the normal, low-key families who ought to be the gym's bread and butter? I sure wouldn't want my daughter at a gym where a reality show was being filmed, even if her group wasn't the focus. Too much potential for both the kids and coaches to get distracted, lose perspective, etc. And imagine what having a TV crew around would do to the CGMs!

Typically I think reality TV=last ditch effort for fame. I do think Gabby's "comeback" is legit, she was amazing in Jesolo. It's unfortunate that the "powers that be" in her life don't think that's enough. Rarely does good ever comes from reality TV. At best I see it as a distraction.

Yes, I don't understand why any gym would allow a reality TV crew on the premises. Wouldn't it attract the wrong kind of customers (crazy stage parents) and drive away the normal, low-key families who ought to be the gym's bread and butter? I sure wouldn't want my daughter at a gym where a reality show was being filmed, even if her group wasn't the focus. Too much potential for both the kids and coaches to get distracted, lose perspective, etc. And imagine what having a TV crew around would do to the CGMs!
Dance moms gym style! I have a feeling that wouldn't be pretty...

I am ashamed to say that several girls in DD's workout group, including DD, enjoy that show. DD was trying to explain the attraction to DS last night and making zero headway.

If the family has pressed Gabby into this, I very much hope that the show focuses far more on the family than on her. I was really impressed by what she accomplished in Jesolo and think it would be great for both her and the team if she could make a serious run at competing again in Rio, even if she doesn't make it. She is so young still and so talented -- I'd like to see her be able to finish out the competing gymnast phase of her life with dignity and a sense of accomplishment and be able to move on successfully to a fulfilling career as an adult.

It seems like the show may be Gabby's mother doing. My guess is that there will be very little shown of the training and will show L.A./family more. At least I hope I'm correct in my guess. I feel bad for Gabby. It seems like she really wants to persue another Olympics for gymnastics sake and her family may have other goals.

That is what I was leaning towards myself. I can not imagine Kittia allowing a Reality TV crew in the gym. She has other Olympic hopefuls there besides Gabby, I would think this type of Drama TV would be bad for all involved. Only ones to benefit would be publicity seeking hordes, not serious goal driven gym families

It seems like the show may be Gabby's mother doing. My guess is that there will be very little shown of the training and will show L.A./family more. At least I hope I'm correct in my guess. I feel bad for Gabby. It seems like she really wants to persue another Olympics for gymnastics sake and her family may have other goals.

I see, although it seems like without the gymnastics, what makes their family interesting? I guess it's just like a Kardashians thing then. I still think it will be a distraction or potential problem.

I have no doubt this is being pushed by her "momager" and I can't see how this helps Gabby's comeback in any way at all. The only thing benefiting from this potential circus is mom's bank account.

If this ends up being a circus though, the one I feel most sorry for is Nia Dennis (as well as another other future elite in that gym). The last thing girls need, who've already sacrificed so much to succeed in this sport, is Dance Moms manufactured drama interfering with their training.

Is gymnastics not difficult and dangerous enough, without girls, and coaches, worrying about a camera crew following their every move?

I agree 100%. I can't imagine how this could wind up a good thing for the gym.

This is just another way for the Douglas family to ride out Gabby's "fame" for her Olympic title. I can't see anything positive coming out of this. Reality TV is all about drama. It's going to portray gymnastics in such a bad light and make our gymnasts think "this is what it's supposed to be like" when watching the show. Just look at Dance Moms and the HORRIBLE reputation it gives to dancers and dance instructors. Not only that, but it's going to attract all the CGMs to Buckeye Gymnastics and just turn the whole thing into a joke.

So sad to see Gabby's family (aka her mother) take advantage of her success like this and it's a shame Gabby is feeding off of this type of energy. I wonder if she'd still be training for Rio if nobody knew she was and she didn't have all this spotlight....probably not.

Well making it to Rio will be a stretch and (not that I don't love gabby or anything) I would be surprised if gabby made a good enough comeback to go back to the olympics. The reality show just doesn't seem plausible if she is working towards the olympics

I also hope this tv show doesn't portray gymnastics in a bad light, but looking forward to watching it. Gabby Douglas is amazing but I just don't think she will make Rio with Simone Biles, Mckayla Skinner, Kyla Ross and all the other incredible gymnasts who didn't take 2 years off competing for spots. Douglas was great in her prime though!

At Jesolo, she did not have the look of a gymnast who was training merely for publicity. If she doesn't make the team, I don't think based on what we've seen so far it will be because of lack of effort or commitment. Sure, it's tough to take some time off and come back, but it's also tough to maintain the kind of training that keeps one in elite competitive shape for years on end. Of the three 2012 Olympians who are hoping to make it to Rio, for my part I think Aly made the best choice -- a short break and then back in the gym, but maintenance training for a while before gearing up for a run to make the 2016 team. Still, I have so much admiration and respect for all three of them for putting in serious efforts to stay at or return to world class elite form and skills.

The US has a lot of talent and depth, and at this point, about the only one I'd put money on to make the team for sure is Simone Biles, with the caveat that I sure hope she can stay healthy.

Typically I think reality TV=last ditch effort for fame. I do think Gabby's "comeback" is legit, she was amazing in Jesolo.

Gabby was good in Jesolo, but not a stand out. I will be very surprised if she makes Rio. Her days as a gymnastics star are rapidly coming to an end. So the momager looks for cash flow while she can get it. Sorry, but that is all this is.

I don't know a lot (ok really anything) about gymnastics because my daughter just got into it, and is definitely not going for a super high level- but the tone of some of these posts really bother me. Is gymnastics only a sport for rich kids? if a family has to make different choices than you would because she has a single mom and this is their one chance to be financially secure, why does that make her a terible person? I definitely don't get the impression from any of those posts that anyone making them has been in a similar situation.

I don't know a lot (ok really anything) about gymnastics because my daughter just got into it, and is definitely not going for a super high level- but the tone of some of these posts really bother me. Is gymnastics only a sport for rich kids? if a family has to make different choices than you would because she has a single mom and this is their one chance to be financially secure, why does that make her a terible person? I definitely don't get the impression from any of those posts that anyone making them has been in a similar situation.

Gymnastics can be an expensive sport as girls move up the levels, but the sport has really tried to open doors for talented gymnasts who need financial assistance. For example, our gym and parents association offers significant assistance based on needs.

Understand that Gabby's mother carries some baggage in the sport because of prior events. You can probably read some old threads about it on this forum. People here are definitely rooting for Gabby -- she's an amazing talent. I think most people feel like her family has unfairly taken advantage of a young girl though.

Gabby's mom said a few things in the weeks and months following the 2012 Olympics that soured many people toward h

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back