Parents Getting Confidence back after multiple injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My 12 year old daughter is a Level 9 gymnast who has had back to back injuries (stress fracture in her foot and then fracture in her hand that she needed surgery for ) . She has been cleared to return to full gymnastics . She has done a great job keeping herself strong during this time . She has only competed 1 meet in the last year. Dr says she should be able to possibly compete half of her season (around Feb ) if she is ready .
Her confidence is shattered . She has fear of getting hurt again . Bars is going to be the hardest due to the scar on her hand . She did a giant Thursday and a tsuk vault and a beam series on the low beam , that made her happy but I see her still hesitant . No pressure from me , I'm fine if she doesn't compete until next season , she is only 12 .
I'm wondering if it's just going to take time for her . She says she needs to trust her body and she's not sure how . I have asked her if she wants to try another sport and she says no . Any advice would be great !

We are going thru similar right now as well, my 14 yr old dd was about to move to level 5 ( yea I k ow she is kinda old for level 4 it she loves the sport so much) she had knee issues then fractured her ankle and was in a protective thing, all summer and is just getting back again will compete next week hopefully on bars and maybe other but she has yet to do her backhand spring. It's so frustrating since I know she wants to get back

I truly hope your DD comes back strong and gets that confidence back.

I have similar fears. My DD is 14 YO level 7 (was supposed to be) and now we're thinking she may miss the whole season or at least much of it. But when she comes back I can easily see these skills scaring her...

Just give her time.

My DD is going through the same thing. Was out most of last season, had surgery in May and just started back "full" gymnastics a few weeks ago. She is training level 9, but is competing HS this year while she tries to get her skills back. She had an elbow injury and was very hesitant about certain skills in fear of feeling the pain again. Last week she started working her beam series again (BHS BHS). She hadn't done them since pain started last January. And she was suprised when there was NO Pain!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back