Giants on the Set

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CamSeawind

I'm terrified of doing my giants on the set at gymnastics. I scared of hitting the low bar so extremely that I won't go and I really want to not be scared so I was wondering if anyone hew some ideas on how to get un-scared basically.
I know how to not hit (by piking sightly, but then I forget to tap...) it but I'm still scared, what should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not do some baby giants from cast handstand like you would go for giants. So you would get you used to straddling in the right spot(which I assume you are doing.Right????) and seeing were the bar is and when to tap.
Also you could just put a sing mat over the bar so if you hit it it doesn't hurt soo bad. The only way you will hit the bar is if you are bigger than the length of your set or if your tapping to early. Remember the worst thing that could happen if you it the bar is you don't make it all the way around and you just turn and come off!:D

I pike actually because I just barely touch the bar, but the idea is still true I guess, so thanks. I like the idea with a mat, I've thought of it but never tried it, I think I will now.

One Question: were you ever scared?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmm not really. Actualy I was more scared of the cast handstand going into it then the actual giant. I got my giant way!!!!!!!!!! before I got my cast handstand to vertical which was in the biggining of the summer after season.:( Although my cast handstands have always bigger and easier on the high bar. For me I did a migilion attempts at giants and just turned and came down when I didn't make it over. I couldnt make it over because my cast was so low into it. Although I got it higher before season and had the best giant giant flyaway but horrible casts.

I would recommend learning to straddle if you are a taller gymnast. If you have pit bar. lay something across the pit as the low bar and when you are about to pass it straddle and then tap at your regular time. It doesnt have to be a big straddle it could be a small on just make sure it doesnt look like you have sperated legs in a pike giant then an acutal straddle giant.

So next time you go to bars just ask if can put a sting over the bar and do some giants. Thats what I did when we started inward giants.:D

Thanks again, you're the best!! My coach had me do that yesterday, I guess great minds think alike :)

Yeah no problem. Its not that hard to help people with fears if you have learned the same skills and have thought about some of the same stuff. Wait, did you try your gaints with the sting mat, because you said your coach had you do that yesterday???

Yes! I agree great minds think a like!

I was really scared the first couple times I tried my giant between the bars too! If you can, I would get a spot going between the bars. That way you can get used to the feeling and your coach can push you over until you figure out when/how hard to tap. Then I would do some with a sting mat over the bar. :)

I'm scared with my coach there but I've been getting some courage from you guys so I think I'm going to go for them today! :D *Getting my hopes up*

I hope you go for them today. I would just put a sting mat over the bar. Another thing that I have seen is a pool noddle on the low bar. Take a pool noodle and cut it open (the kind with a hole), and put in on the bar. You could also do some on single bar (strap, or normal) and get 2 people to hold a rubber ban (the kind you use for conditioning, I am not sure what they are called, big ones) across in the back and do some. This way you can get the feeling of doing them without touching it, and if you do it won't hurt.

i just got my giants back on pit bar! i'm so excited!! i was gonna try theem on double bars (set) today, but i ripped so i couldn't :( but i'm gonna try on monday!!! :)) and i agree with optionals rocks!

Thanks all of you! :) I want my coach to spot me and he's not here right now (he's in Oregon/Washington), but I did put a bungee across our pit and did giants on our pit bar. I'm going to go for them on either Saturday or Monday, whenever my coaches get back.

I did do my back tuck on a higher beam though today so I did do something :).

Nice!!!!!!!! It sounds like you are making some progress, not with bars but with beam too!!!!! Tell us how it goes. Remember we all believe in you!

Sorry, my computer was dead but I got it fixed so ya.

No I didn't I was all ready to yesterday but then we had to share bars with some level 4/5's so I couldn't.:mad:But I will today!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back