WAG Girl who wants to move up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast-mac

Gymnast
There is a 13 year old level 4 at my gym, who has level 6 skills on floor, but is still polishing off level 4 skills on the other events. She has asked our head coach multiple times about moving up, and our coach has told her that she will think about it, but the most recent answer was that she wouldn't until she showed improvement in her level 4 skills. What would you do as the head coach??

I don't understand the question fully I don't think. If she's still working on L4 skills then she's in the right level, no?

I don't understand the question fully I don't think. If she's still working on L4 skills then she's in the right level, no?
Yes, the problem is that the girl believes that she is good enough to move up. I agree with the decision to keep her in level 4.

Good point. My understanding is that bars is the event that tends to hold girls back. If she is polishing L4 skills that doesn't exactly tell us whether or not she has a that gateway kip.

Often kids can tumble at a higher level than other apparatus Many kids seem to think that tumbling is bigger/more impressive than other skills and that they are ready to move up based on having these skills.

The coach needs to tell her exactly why she is keeping her in level 4 and not just say she'll think about moving her up. Does she know she's lacking the appropriate skills in the other events?

Has the coach told her that L4 is where the L4 skill set belongs? If you need L5 skills on each apparatus to move up, then that's how you move up? It seems like a pretty straightforward conversation, especially if she's brought up moving up.

Agree with the others that it seems pretty clear to me. You have to have the L5 skills to move to L5. Maybe because of her age she is feeling weird being with younger kids? Or because she is older she should be able to move up? If she wants to stay in JO, then she has to wait until all events are in place. Otherwise she could probably find a fit in Prep-Op somewhere.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back