Good or Bad news?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, today when I picked up my DD from practice she told me "Mom, we need to talk". I knew exactly what she was going to tell me. Her Coach told the level 6 group, who just won 1st place team at the District Championship, that as soon as State is over in November they will start working very hard to level 7, and whoever is ready at the end of December will compete level 7 during the Spring. Most of them have almost all the level 7 skills, the 5 of them are very strong gymnasts (my DD has won 1st place AA the last 3 meets, with AA from 36.5 to 37.5). Her Coach has been saying things like : " for your level 7 beam routine yo can do this...", "you are ready to do your giants out of the strap bars...", etc, etc, but never really said a word about doing 7 right away.

ok what is the bad part about this... we were going on vacation in December for a week to Disney, I just accepted a Club Volleyball Coaching position and they season is at the same time that the optional season (I have never miss one meet). I am tired that our life (Family life) is always around gymnastics. I am so happy for my daughter because in our gym the rule is that you take a year of training between level 6 and 7, so it is a great accomplisment to be asked to compete level 7 just after your level 6 season, but I need a life!!!!;)

We did the split 6/7 year last year....While DD enjoyed it...it was a super long season... and we would do it again. Not listening to that same music over and over helped...lol Congrats to you DD and good luck in what ever you decide. :)

Congrats to your DD & her whole team on their amazing L6 season!!! Good luck with your family decision regarding your DD's gymnastic progression. It is quite an honor that the coach wants her compete L7 right away. But you really need to decide what is best your entire family. Consider what her long term goals are. How old is she? Is there a rush for her to get through the levels quickly? Just b/c the coach wants it, doesn't mean it's wants right for your family. Make sure you are all on the same page, so there is no resentment on anyones part. But mostly, make sure you are all enjoying the journey. I'm sure your DD will be an amazing L7, whenever she competes it:D.

Regarding your vacation, I would suggest to just go. It's only a week so it's a no brainer.

Now, about the potential schedule conflict between your coaching position and meets... You can either decline the job or just cross your fingers and hope that you can break away. Skillwise, from your description, even though the coach sounds stoked about the situation, it may be sometime before your daughter can compete at L7, especially with the requirements changed for that level this year. Then again, she may just get all the skills right away and you will just have to miss some or all of her upcoming meets.

Best of luck no matter what.

Go on your holiday and enjoy! And worry about the meets one by one as they happen. Your dd has had a wonderful season. She deserves the holiday and will come back all the more refreshed and raring to go. And tell her congratulations she is one very special gymnast!

If she's tired of it - I wouldn'T do it. But since that doesn't seem to be the case, do what'S best for you. As far as it's possible - take a break, it's okay, she will understand... Go on a holiday, miss a meet, it's fine. If you don't you'll probably sit there thinking "what if...".

Is she relying on you to get to the gym etc? Or would actually be possible to take a break from the whole thing for a bit? (I mean, of course, listen when she's talking about practice and everything... just don'T be as involved.... after all it's just a sport,.. even if gymnastics is very in your face;))

For sure take the weeks vaction, week off can actually help and not hinder. If she is that strong and has most of her skills she will do fine. L6 is notorious tough and many gyms even skip it because of that.

I can imagine the disruption of another meet season could be a bit too much, but only you can decide what is right for your family. Good luck with that.

Definitely take your vacation! If taking a week's vacation makes a difference, then moving up that quickly shouldn't be done anyway. Few people do the level 6/7 in one year at our gym, but those that do hate it--tough to compete that long and get new routines memorized. But it sounds like if anyone can shine at it, it's your DD!

Congrats to your DD & her whole team on their amazing L6 season!!! Good luck with your family decision regarding your DD's gymnastic progression. It is quite an honor that the coach wants her compete L7 right away. But you really need to decide what is best your entire family. Consider what her long term goals are. How old is she? Is there a rush for her to get through the levels quickly? Just b/c the coach wants it, doesn't mean it's wants right for your family. Make sure you are all on the same page, so there is no resentment on anyones part. But mostly, make sure you are all enjoying the journey. I'm sure your DD will be an amazing L7, whenever she competes it:D.

She is 9 and turning 10 in January and she loves gymnastics. I am going to have a conversation with her Coach today because I want her first to keep her grades at school (5th grade, Average 98 so far, with 20/hour of gym per week) so I don't want to increase hours, keep her healthy (no injuries so far, knock, knock) and keep her happy (I don't want her to burn out), but I don't want to be the one holding her back if she wants to go for it.

She is 9 and turning 10 in January and she loves gymnastics. I am going to have a conversation with her Coach today because I want her first to keep her grades at school (5th grade, Average 98 so far, with 20/hour of gym per week) so I don't want to increase hours, keep her healthy (no injuries so far, knock, knock) and keep her happy (I don't want her to burn out), but I don't want to be the one holding her back if she wants to go for it.

You sound like you have really thought about this and are making a good informed decision. Burnout is a serious issue and I have seen AMAZING girls in our gym hit their early teens and just ....quit! Like you, we kept Emma's hours at what we thought was best for her this year. The coaches were very supportive and so far, she is hanging in there with the girls that go an extra day. We made a decision that it would be her health/spirit, family, academics, then gymnastics. Especially since we have 3 other children...we just have to keep it all in perspective. Congratulations to your dd on such great accomplishments! Go on your vacation and have a blast! :)

It sounds to me like you have really thought this through. Take your vacation and relax. I agree with what Emma'smom said. Hea;th, school, then gymnastics. If your DD can handle all of it I would say go for it! If you miss a meet or two then I think that would be ok. You can't put your own life and career on hold indefinately due to your childs sport! Just my 2 cents.
YOur DD is a VERY talented gymnast and she will do great at L7 whenever it is that she competes it! Best of luck in your decisions!!

Assuming the goal is not to get her to elite in 2-3 years, 20 hours of practice at a higher level is a lot for a 9/10 year old. On top of that, if they were to impose to have her compete at L7 under high pressure and/or without being entirely ready, I would really have to rethink the situation.

Gymnastics is very dominating. True! But, in general, coaches are very understanding and accommodating when it comes to school being a priority. If yours aren't, then they are the exception.

As far as not wanting to be the bad guy holding her back, I have to say you're the adult and presumably you know what's best for the family (and her). It's your job as a mom to evaluate everything as a whole. I think eventually you'll have to interfere with something else she will encounter or want to pursue in her life. If you think she may be unhappy now, wait until then.

What I would suggest is to have her move up and train at L7. If she is without a doubt completely ready (mentally and physically), then have her compete at L7. Otherwise, stay and compete at L6, which will do her a lot of good in a long run. Practice as many hours as she/you can handle without affecting her school work. If she/you needs a break, take one. If she/you needs to skip a day or two, do that too. (Watch for signs) If your gym has a problem with that then I think it's time to pack.

BTW, from what I heard and read, one motivation for changing the optional requirements is to discourage gymnasts/gyms from skipping levels. In theory, the overlaps are a lot fewer and things will be on a lot more even grounds. For example, there was very little difference between a good L6 and basic L7 routine last year so many gyms said why bother. With the new COP, that supposedly isn't going to be that way this year -- at least without big deductions.

Where is that crystal ball when we need it?!?

It sounds like your gymmie is quite talented, and has a great head on her shoulders. That's definitely a plus in the decision making process.

She sounds more than ready to train for level 7, and if she's ready and confident come competition time, I'd say go for it!

I hope it all works out for the best for your daughter and whole family. Good luck making the decision!

Oh- Never pass up a Disney vacation!!!

Since you put it that way... Sorry to say that I'm such a party pooper (should be no surprise to some of you). I would pass Disney up in a heart beat. But, that's just me and only me.:(

No, not only you, we went once and you couldn't pay me to go back. All mickey all the time is not my scene at all. Epcot was okay, but hubby said it hadn't changed since the 70's.

Give me a desert, or some funky city and I'll be good for a week. :eek: Send me to a beach resort or Disney and I'll be begging to leave.:rolleyes:

I think a weeks break is good, but the location was not up for discussion!:D:p:p

Ok, way to call me out on it guys;)

I can't really speak for or against Disney. I've only been once, 28 years ago, as a 6 year old child!! I remember very little outside of the photos and Space Mountain, lol.

What I meant by my comment was, never pass up a planned week long vacation for gym!! Family time and vacation time should come first! You wouldn't have planned a vacation if you didn't want/need/deserve one, so GO!! Have fun!! The gym will be there when you get back!!

Ok, way to call me out on it guys;)

I can't really speak for or against Disney. I've only been once, 28 years ago, as a 6 year old child!! I remember very little outside of the photos and Space Mountain, lol.

What I meant by my comment was, never pass up a planned week long vacation for gym!! Family time and vacation time should come first! You wouldn't have planned a vacation if you didn't want/need/deserve one, so GO!! Have fun!! The gym will be there when you get back!!

Then we agree, again! :D Vacay with the family is never to be missed.

gymjourneymom and notAmom hit the nail on the head. I couldn't put it any better. Good luck with the decision and Congrats to your dd and all of her team!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry CGM. We know what you mean! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about a vacation.

No, not only you, we went once and you couldn't pay me to go back. All mickey all the time is not my scene at all. Epcot was okay, but hubby said it hadn't changed since the 70's.
Give me a desert, or some funky city and I'll be good for a week. :eek: Send me to a beach resort or Disney and I'll be begging to leave.:rolleyes:
I think a weeks break is good, but the location was not up for discussion!:D:p:p
You gotta stop, Bog. This is too wield. That is how I feel, pretty much word for word. Epcot being only bearable spot in Disney, desert (one of my destined places for retirement -- along with ski country), funky city (not to live but for the food and culture). I have been to Disney at least 3X. The last time I went, the family made me. But, I had a great time because I spent time with them. My only exception for me is: I like the beach because I love laying in the hot sun and sleep. Because I think that is all it's good for.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back