Grip Lock

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
One of the high school girls that works in our gym broke her arm doing giants due to grip lock. I have never used grips, so I don't know much about this. I can envision it, but why does it happen? How often does it happen?

I feel really bad for her. It happened at the club she has been training at and it happened just before Sectionals. She was most likely going to qualify for all-around at States.

geez...i saw this post up and was hoping it wasn't what i thought. was this on a strap bar? was she stretching new grips doing giants on a boys high bar?? or did they lock up while she was doing giants on the ordinary girls high bar???

when this happens the ordinary way, it's because the grips are way to stretched out. what this means is that the palm part of the grip is so stretched that the palm part of the grip can wrap around the entire circumference of the rail. when this happens, the two ends of the palm leather at the wrist and dowel can come together under the pad of the wrist. when this happens, the 'touching' acts as a brake. the dowel will then stop on a dime. so then, the hand stops moving because it has been braked/locked to the rail and the body continues to go around the bar causing the wrist and forearm to 'bow' and subsequently break if the gymnast can't release their hand.

a cautionary notice for everyone as to why both boys and girls need to have their grips checked periodically by coaches.

geez...i saw this post up and was hoping it wasn't what i thought. was this on a strap bar? was she stretching new grips doing giants on a boys high bar?? or did they lock up while she was doing giants on the ordinary girls high bar???

While it's difficult to envision on the women's rail (seriously), I have actually seen it happen (at a competition) and I know it was standard equipment. I also know the girl and it was really bad.

To answer the original post, it happens when the grips are too long and the part over the dowel that folds over wraps all the way around to the base of the palm. If you're circling the bar, it essentially acts as a brake and the hand stops moving but in something like a giant with enough momentum the body will continue to travel, which will break the forearm. Obviously this is a bigger issue with the men's high bar due to the smaller radius and using women's UB grips on HB is a bad idea for this reason. With the size of a women's UB rail, it is not very likely...but like I said I have seen it happen once. That's the only (UB) instance I've seen or can recall hearing of in real life though, so it's rare.

Oh.... This really makes me cringe. I was only ever worried about peeling from the bar when she starts to learn her giants with grips. Now I have this to worry about too....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I've only heard of grip locking on the boys bar..we aren't allowed to use our grips if we ever have to do anything on there.

As far as I know, she was on the uneven bars. I don't know if she will be at the gym tonight. I'll find out more if I see her.

I hate grips.

Unfortunately, Googling this subject resulted in watching some Youtube videos I wish I had never seen. Ouch.

How often should the coaches be checking the girl's grips? My daughter's last pair lasted about a year before but as far as I know they were never "checked" in that time. The only reason I even purchased a new pair is because she grew a size, not because she thought they were worn out.

How often should the coaches be checking the girl's grips? My daughter's last pair lasted about a year before but as far as I know they were never "checked" in that time. The only reason I even purchased a new pair is because she grew a size, not because she thought they were worn out.

good question. I'd like to know too. my dd has had the same pair for 2 yrs. but they are on the smaller side (she prefers this). She will transition to buckles after comp season is over in the spring. I am hoping that these last that long. only a few more weeks. no sign of wearing out but I hear they can rip without warning.

I saw Brianna tonight. She was doing a free hip, not a giant when it happened. She showed me the video on her phone. Wish I hadn't seen that! Yikes. She is in a cast all the way up to her shoulder for the next two months.

Yikes....that sounds painful! So is this more likely to happen if the grips are purchased bigger than they need? I just ordered grips from US Glove (thanks Dunno!) and talked to someone about what size to order. They said to never go up to the larger size if they are between sized b/c they will stretch and be too big. Glad I asked!!

I will not be googling it.
No way. I hate watching stuff like that be it gymnastics or other accidents.

Especially gymnastics since that's sort of what I do and work as. It's bad enough I can remember the accidents I've seen in a gym vividly to this day.

Well you learn something new every day!
I've been coaching for over 10 years now and never heard of this! So glad I have now though.
We are pretty keen on checking our girl's guards, probably not as often as should be, but at least every 6 months before major competition work begins.

Hope the gymnast makes a speedy recovery. Dunno and gymdog, your descriptions made me feel ill! I NEVER want to see that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back