Grips...... HELP!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kjmg

My daughter is having grip issues, she is small 9 yr old and has been using the Baile Beginner Dowel Grips for the past two years, but now that she is level 7 and doing lots of giants daily the grips are stretching and getting loose very fast, in effect we are buy new grips quite often.
Is it time to move up to a more thicker/wider 10.0 grip? Are the beginner dowel grips really ment for "beginners" or are they okay for more aggressive use?
We seem to get different opinions... Please help.

I have not used beginner dowel grips, but I have seen them before and they are very thin and easily worn out. I am a level seven also, and I use professional, velcro dowel grips with a red strap (not sure what it's called, but I think it starts with an 'R') I've never met you're DD, so I wouldn't know her personally, but I would have to really recommend buying real grips. I bought my own pair in level 5 that worked just fine, but I handed them down after I grew out of them and "inherited" the same brand of dowel grips from an older gymnast. They work just fine and I am never unsafe or uncomfortable on bars. On downfall however, is that the grips take a while to break in. All real dowel grips do, and they can take from one months to 4 months depending on how thick they are. Although the thin ones break in easier, they tend to be slipperier and wear out easier. Dowel grips need to be replaced when the gymnast grows out of them, or they simply wear too thin. I'd recommend using a grip brush on them often so chalk doesn't build up too much and they don't get slippery. I hope this helps!

-GCG

i know ten-o makes grips for smaller hands, i think there call like pixie grips or something like that

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back