Parents Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the behaviour by these coaches is often very obvious, but parents get sucked in by stories of 'what it takes' and turn a blind eye to it.

again, love your posts. you got that right once again...and especially with THAT coach. some day...

If not for the serious feel this thread has, I would be laughing at how incomprehensible it is! It's like listening to a one sided phone call.

One of my dear friends lives in Houston and is constantly trying to lure me down with talk about how great Texas gymnastics is and how much Bella would love it down there in the heart of "gym land". One of her daughters even competes gymnastics at a Houston gym and now I'm worried that she is giving her daughter to a bad coach. :-(

Houston is a GREAT city. If you are going to be "lured" come for the friendly non-big city feel, the constant festivals for every conceivable interest, the diversity, the arts, the best medical facilites, the amazing restaurants and fall and spring weather (we'll just ignore July and August).

If you were coming to Texas for gym, we have good ones but the there are other cities with better gym reputations. I've never understood why we haven't developed one of "the gyms" for women. We certainly have the population.

I think that one of the things that is most concerning is that you don't or can't know until something happens unless you find a board like this. When we moved from Houston last year my daughter had just finished her level 5 and a meet at level 6 and then we moved. Shortly after we left our old gyms optional program just fell apart. Had we stayed we would have had to choose another gym. There are several in the SE part of Houston, but we would've had to make a decision with visits and some gym time and we had never heard anything about the coaches in question. Then, I had asks about some Denver gyms and when that fell through Seattle area gyms. I remember getting some feedback about my DD's current gym.

@Bella's Mom. Houston is a great city. I enjoyed my time there, but it just wasn't the right place for us. Where you live in Houston will generally dictate the gym you attend. Houston is massive and every part of the metropolitan area has it's choice of gyms.

I do think Txgymfan is being a little generous though in only ignoring July and August. I like to say Houston has 2 seasons....summer and not quite summer. Not quite summer is Dec-Feb, the rest of the time it's summer weather. 80+ with incredibly high humidity. But that's what AC is for!:D

again, love your posts. you got that right once again...and especially with THAT coach. some day...

Dunno, I read your posts and like what you say. You appear to have many years in the gymnastics sport. I have ZERO experience except watching my daughter...just curious, do you still coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back