Parents Gymnastics bar, beam and tumble track for new gymnast toddler!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Mom97

Proud Parent
Reaction score
So, yes I’ve heard that it’s not a good idea to give a kid equipment. However, my 3.5 year old is soooo obsessed with her gymnastics class that she literally will not take off the leotard. She’s jumping from couches, and hanging onto stuff she’s not supposed to. Using the edge of the couch as a beam etc. So I want to get her some stuff to play on.

However, I just want her to have fun. I don’t even know she’ll stick with it because of her height, and I’ve read very discouraging things about kids in gymnastics and their height. She’s 3 years, 5 months in the 98th percentile, so she’s 3’5ft. So I guess she’s as tall as a 4 and a half or 5 year old? Anyways… I don’t care, I want to support her always, and just want her to have fun.

If I do get her the equipment, should I put it in a spare room/office or in her room so it feels more like a game? She also does swimming, and it’s more suited for her height… but she’s so in love with gymnastics, maybe because she’s new at it. Thanks in advance.

So, yes I’ve heard that it’s not a good idea to give a kid equipment. However, my 3.5 year old is soooo obsessed with her gymnastics class that she literally will not take off the leotard. She’s jumping from couches, and hanging onto stuff she’s not supposed to. Using the edge of the couch as a beam etc. So I want to get her some stuff to play on.

However, I just want her to have fun. I don’t even know she’ll stick with it because of her height, and I’ve read very discouraging things about kids in gymnastics and their height. She’s 3 years, 5 months in the 98th percentile, so she’s 3’5ft. So I guess she’s as tall as a 4 and a half or 5 year old? Anyways… I don’t care, I want to support her always, and just want her to have fun.

If I do get her the equipment, should I put it in a spare room/office or in her room so it feels more like a game? She also does swimming, and it’s more suited for her height… but she’s so in love with gymnastics, maybe because she’s new at it. Thanks in advance.
Even if she’s tall don’t worry about that too much…there are a growing number of taller gymnasts but when the time comes this can be considered. I’m a L10 now and when I was little I really enjoyed my home gymnastics equipment. I just had a floor soft beam and a panel mat to start. When she’s little a bar or trampolines at home can be very dangerous if she’s not supervised/spotted constantly when using them. I would keep a panel mat and a soft floor beam set up in the office you mentioned just so it’s an open space where she won’t hit anything and let her enjoy it. As she gets older you can get more equipment if she’s still interested in gymnastics like floor bars, resistance bands, bosu balls, air tracks, low beams and more to help her practice drills and conditioning at home.

I would just get a mat, a balance beam, maybe a preschool trampoline. Then when she's older, a pull up bar and/or a rope. Love the bosu ball idea too.

I would just get a mat, a balance beam, maybe a preschool trampoline. Then when she's older, a pull up bar and/or a rope. Love the bosu ball idea too.
Hey! Thank you for your comment. I love the trampoline idea, however I’m scared because she likes jumping form everywhere like crazy! And she’s not scared. And I’m not going to lie, she’s kinda good… but I’m scared she would try to jump off the trampoline? She also likes the monkey bars at the park. Should I still not get the bar?

Hey! Thank you for your comment. I love the trampoline idea, however I’m scared because she likes jumping form everywhere like crazy! And she’s not scared. And I’m not going to lie, she’s kinda good… but I’m scared she would try to jump off the trampoline? She also likes the monkey bars at the park. Should I still not get the bar?
I meant one for littles - like a rebound type.

I really don't love kids having bars at home from a coach's perspective. Bars is a technical event and bad habits happen quickly.

I wouldn't worry about her height at all, the tallest olympic gymnast was nearly 6 feet tall! sure height can make it harder to gain certain skills but it definitely wont stop her if she wants to continue gymnastics. As for equipment I would start with a softer floor beam to practice basics like handstand and whatnot on it, maybe a smaller trampoline, and panel mats to practice cartwheels, handstands, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back