Parents Gymnastics Camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Sweetpea

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sent their gymnast to the Florida Gator Gymnastics Camp? If so, at what level and did your gymnast enjoy it?

We are very interested in sending our Level 6 gymnast for the experience and exposure since she really wants to compete in college!
She’s looking for intense training to test her skills and take it to another level!

We have been to the Gator camp several times, as well as other college camps. (I would imagine spots are sold out for this year already). I have said it before in other threads about college camps. College camps are not about skill development, they are more for fun. There is typically a wide variety of skill sets and ages at these camps, they do not break up groups according to any level/age just by numbers. Most of the "coaches" at these camps are current/future student-athletes or guest coaches from club gyms. Many of the college coaches are in and out as they are in the middle of recruiting. They are fun, and the girls get to see and feel to an extent what being in a college gym is like and yes they might be able to try a new skill in a very controlled setting. But do not go expecting challenging skill development or even great exposure to the coaches. When gymnasts are L10 and are at a recruitable age, programs will often send flyers to athletes to sign up for camps, I would advise a conversation with your club coach as they can talk to the college coaches and gauge interest in the athlete from the college and then you can make a decision if the cost is worth it for the exposure.

We have been to the Gator camp several times, as well as other college camps. (I would imagine spots are sold out for this year already). I have said it before in other threads about college camps. College camps are not about skill development, they are more for fun. There is typically a wide variety of skill sets and ages at these camps, they do not break up groups according to any level/age just by numbers. Most of the "coaches" at these camps are current/future student-athletes or guest coaches from club gyms. Many of the college coaches are in and out as they are in the middle of recruiting. They are fun, and the girls get to see and feel to an extent what being in a college gym is like and yes they might be able to try a new skill in a very controlled setting. But do not go expecting challenging skill development or even great exposure to the coaches. When gymnasts are L10 and are at a recruitable age, programs will often send flyers to athletes to sign up for camps, I would advise a conversation with your club coach as they can talk to the college coaches and gauge interest in the athlete from the college and then you can make a decision if the cost is worth it for the exposure.
Thank you so much for all of this great information! Oddly there are still slots available for this summer for Gator Camp (in past years I noticed it would fill up fast and I was surprised to see we could still get her in this summer). After reading your reply, I’m hesitant since she is really looking for a more
Challenging opportunity and not so much “fun”.
Any suggestions on any camps or opportunities would be much welcomed! I’m feeling a little lost in fulfilling her need for more and I don’t want her to get discouraged.

What do you mean by a challenging opportunity? What specifically is she looking for? I think college camps do offer a chance for an athlete to work newer skills that they have started working at their gym. I feel like my daughter has received some good coaching at college camps. Sometimes a different coach has a different way of phrasing a correction or a different helpful thing to focus on within a skill that maybe the gymnast hasn’t heard before so that can be helpful. They can also be inspired by the atmosphere and the college athletes and just the excitement that exists at the camps. Camps won’t teach new skills which is understandable but they do have pros to them. It really just depends on what you are hoping to find.

Oddly there are still slots available for this summer for Gator Camp (in past years I noticed it would fill up fast and I was surprised to see we could still get her in this summer).

The Gator coaches are a little preoccupied this summer, maybe that's why demand is down. :)

I'm not sure that a 'challenging opportunity' exists. It's hard to teach brand new skills to kids, especially the higher the level where skills take longer to develop. You don't just chuck a double back on floor or a bail on bars. They might make progress on a skill they almost have or make improvements on existing skills. I agree with @littlegirlsdream that the 'opportunity' is getting different corrections. Also, just being surrounded by other who live and breathe gymnastics for a week is inspiring too.

Thank you so much for all of this great information! Oddly there are still slots available for this summer for Gator Camp (in past years I noticed it would fill up fast and I was surprised to see we could still get her in this summer). After reading your reply, I’m hesitant since she is really looking for a more
Challenging opportunity and not so much “fun”.
Any suggestions on any camps or opportunities would be much welcomed! I’m feeling a little lost in fulfilling her need for more and I don’t want her to get discouraged.
I concur with what the others have said. If she has never been to a college camp all those intangible things that are pointed out exist and it would be a positive experience. I would just temper your expectations appropriately and be pleasantly surprised if some new skills are learned. But there are really no "challenging" camps except USAG Devo camps. Which of course are invite only.

Too late for this year but I’d check out GAGE’s Dragon camp.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Sounds like it would be a great opportunity for her after all! We want her to experience the feel of being at a college campus training facility and all it offers with some fresh coaching techniques and from what I’m reading this camp does just that!

Thanks again everyone :)

Brandy Johnson's has a summer camp that they are opening up to girls outside of the gym starting this year. Brandy Johnson’s Levels 7-Elite High Performance Camp. We are in the central Florida area. They've got 5 different college coaches attending from 5 schools. As others have said I don't know how much can be learned in a week but it's a great opportunity to learn from different coaches and choreographers, etc. It's probably full for this year but just something to keep in mind. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back