Off Topic Gymnastics Goals for 2024

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just looking through old posts and came across a post like this for last year. I thought it would be fun as we go into 2025 to discuss your child's (or your own if you are the gymnast) goals for the upcoming year and if they (or you) met or exceeded this years goals.

My daughter hopes to make it to TOPs National Testing and would love to be invited back for camp.

Last years goal, that I posted, was to clean up skills and become a cleaner all around gymnast - She has definitely been able to do that with the help of a new coach. I kind of think this is a never-ending goal as there is always something to clean up! I am proud of her though. She went from being held back, not allowed to move up to level 6 because she didn't have her fly away on bars or her back handspring on beam to getting those two skills solid and gaining skills and strength so much that she has done the TOPs physical abilities test and working on the skills test with a real shot at making it to national testing. Growth is definitely fun!

I'm a coach... my goal is to continue building a great team that provides kids with future life skills as well provides progress & performance in a fun & safe environment. To further that... to build a great crew of coaches that operate as a team in an event coaching fashion.

I'm a dad too... I don't really have any goals for my kids anymore in gymnastics... it's more about watching them.

My oldest daughter has become a college gymnast and we will get to go see her at one of her meets this year. Hopefully next season we will get to see more than one meet... but it's pretty hard as we have 2 other kids competing and we (wife and I) are both coaches taking our team out to competitions. The meets are hopefully streaming online... so there is that.

Middle daughter accomplished her goal of becoming a Level 10 this season already. I look forward to coaching her at workouts and meets with my wife.

My son (youngest) does gymnastics at the club next door. I hope to be able to see a couple of his meets this year. Last year he torn his UCL as the only meet I got to go to... so that was not good.

As a gymnast-
Upgrades
Get a flight skill/series down
Upgrade my turns to 1.5
Start doing switch leaps
Break 9.5 on beam
front tuck-front tuck
double back (on tumble track and bars)
full
Break 9.6 on floor
Tsuk and Yerchenkos
Break 9.2 on vault
kip out of my toe hecht
bails/shootovers
clear hip to hand
toe circle
Break 9.4 on bars
Petition level 8
As a coach-
Attend more meets
Take judging tests

My daughter's goals for next are:
Straddle press to handstand
Pike rope climb
Make level 2 team (she's only 4.5 now)
Get medals (lol, remember, shes 4)

My goals for her are:
Continue to do her best and have fun
Manage kindergarten and possibly 7.5 hours in the gym per week

She's doing great now and works so hard for her age so regardless I'm proud of her!

As a gymnast, perform my best at meets this season, with confidence. Perform like I do at practice.

General
Be more open in talking to coaches.
Improve ankle strength
Improve strength in general
Be confident in my abilities
Figure out twisting direction and start some back and front twisting in the right direction.

Upgrades:
Floor
relatively short term:
Front layout on tumble track
Front layout off extra spring floor onto mat in pit
round off layout on floor
Round off layout half/full tumble track
Get Front handspring front tuck/pike back on floor

longer term:
Front layout on floor
Round off half on floor

vault: