WAG Gymnastics in Puerto Rico?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

josie55

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hello. A friend is contemplating an eventual move to Puerto Rico and is wondering what kind of gymnastics options there might be for her daughter. Child is 10, L8. She goes to a pretty competitive elite gym, trains many hours and loves it. While nobody knows what the future holds, she currently has pretty serious goals of college gymnastics and my friend is wondering if these goals could be pursued if they were to move to PR. Thanks in advance for any insight!

When I researched a place for DD to go while we were in PR over the summer, I am fairly certain I found only one gym. No idea the quality, but despite the island being fairly small, travel isn't always easy because it isn't always a straight shot to get where you need to go. Mihai is the name of the gym, and they appear to have younger boys/girls teams but the photos on fb don't show a lot at the higher levels. She'd also have to remember that ANY competition they go to would be a flying meet.

Reactions: sce
A quick meetscoresonline search for Mihai gymnastics shows relatively few higher level gymnasts last year. One level 8 and a couple of 6s and 7s.

... she currently has pretty serious goals of college gymnastics and my friend is wondering if these goals could be pursued if they were to move to PR.

Short answer - next to impossible.

Longer answer - Unless there is a gym in PR with capable upper level coaches (Level 10) with the ability to get her seen by college coaches, PR is not a place to be if college gym is her goal/passion.

Don't have any specific info, but I know I've seen elites from Puerto Rico compete at Pan American games and other international competitions so there must be some other gymnastics programs than a single gym that goes up to level 8.

Here are a couple of videos of a PUR gymnast from the last worlds a couple years ago. Don't know anything about the gymnastics federation of Puerto Rico, if they are open to training gymnasts that move there from other countries, etc, or just their National team girls. But definitely someone on the island capable of coaching high level gymnastics. I think this girl just missed making vault finals at worlds that year.

I do not know anything about Puerto Rico it may be safe to assume those gymnasts in the video train in the USA but represent PUR.

I do not know anything about Puerto Rico it may be safe to assume those gymnasts in the video train in the USA but represent PUR.
They have gymnasts competing internationally in women's, men's, rhythmic(and I think acro and tumbling and trampoline), many athletes in all the disciplines. The men's team has actually had some decent success and sent a full team to the last world's. No, I do not think they all train in the US.

Thank you very much for all of these replies. I consider myself pretty adept at googling, but you guys are putting me to shame :) I really appreciate it!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back