Gymnastike

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone,

I saw a really old thread about this awesome website, but just thought I would post and see what everyone thinks of this site!

I have been helping Anne (the creator) out with it for a while and would love some input on things yall would like to see or things you like already or whatnot!

We just got back from covering the Northern Lights Classic in Minneapolis last weekend and it was awesome! Everyone was so nice to us and the gymnastics was great too!

So...comments, feedback? :)

Gymnastics - Gymnastike | gymnastics Videos, Interviews, Meets - Meet Top Gymnasts on Gymnastike - check it out if you haven't already! I personally think it is a great resource for gymnastics as a whole!

Welcome to the Chalkbucket, now we have over 5000 members I am sure you will get lots of feedback!

One of our favourite members was at the Northern lights meet and her gymmies L8 vault was shown on gymnastike (that name bugs me ya know, I thought the name was pronounced like Ike, not like eek!)

I love the workout wednesday videos, they are so much fun to watch.

Sometimes the meet commentary bugs me, but then meet commentary is often irritating on NBS etc! Just a personal peeve.

Gymnast profiles are so much fun for the younger girls to watch. We love fluff.

So now I have given you some feedback, you can give me some dish.How does Anne, and her team, finance what they do. Travelling to all these meets is pricey, air fare, accomodation tickets etc. Not to mention time to upload, edit and manage the site. How does it work financially???? I have never figured that one out.

(that name bugs me ya know, I thought the name was pronounced like Ike, not like eek!)

I had no idea it was supposed to be pronounced gymnastEEK until just now. I too pronounced it gymnastIKE. :blush:

I really enjoy the site though, especially the Workout Wednesdays, and especially when you show regular gyms rather than college teams. :D

Love the workout wednesday and the coaching tip videos. If you're looking to expand, perhaps more 'news' type articles on the various lower level invitational meets would be interesting.. otherwise, more of the same please!

It's a great resource. I love Workout Wednesday and Technique Tuesday clips, I've found some really good ideas to incorporate into workouts for my girls. I also like getting introduced to some great optional gymnasts via the site.
I think it would be great if you identified each gymnast on the workout videos at the beginning so you can put a face with a name. Sometimes you include leo descriptions of all of the girls or something, but others it's just a list of names and I try to put together the pieces and I'm sure I'm not usually accurate. Does that make sense?
But otherwise it's a great site, welcome to the board!

Add me to the list of GymnastIKEers:eek: Anyway, I really like that site and it's very useful. Welcome to the Chalkbucket, I'm sure you'll find lots more helpful advice:)

Spelling it Gymnastique would make the pronounciation easier, but its probably too late to chane now.

love the workout wednesdays and watching the vids of the competitions but a lot of the time I can't get the comp vids to play

Spelling it Gymnastique would make the pronounciation easier, but its probably too late to chane now.

Please no! I hate when people stick a random 'que' on the end of word to make it look cute. The word gymnastike is actually a Greek word; here is the etymology:
The word derives from the Greek γυμναστική (gymnastike), fem. of γυμναστικός (gymnastikos), "fond of athletic exercises"[1], from γυμνάσια (gymnasia), "exercise"[2] and that from γυμνός (gymnos), "naked"[3], because athletes exercised and competed without clothing.

And it is the Greek that gives you the eek pronunciation, not the English silent e makes the vowel say its name rule.

( I am a total word geek!)

But of course gymnastique is the French word for gymnastics, we use it every day here.

I just cannot get Ike Turner out of my head!

OH, no offense meant to the French! It is a pet peeve of mine - the purposeful misspelling of words to make them cute or interesting or catchy.

I imagine that the site's owners were thinking about the origins of gymnastics when they decided to use gymnastike.

Hi! Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! I recently found Gymnastike website. I really like it..

My DD was in the Event Finals at Northern Lights, It was great that you guys were there.. So much fun for her to share the video with her family all across the states!

Also LOVE this website! You guys are doing an excellent job with it!
My favorites are Workout Wednesdays and Technique Tuesdays. The best workout Wednesdays are the ones where the coach explains how the workouts work at their gym, the drills that the kids are doing, and any sort of assignments they have for workouts (they have to hit so many routines etc). This as opposed to just a montage of video clips.

I also like when you interview optional gymnasts and show their meets, it's refreshing to see that side of gymnastics as well as the elite side.

All around, a great website!

Well as far as travel costs, we try to break even. More and more gyms recently have been paying to bring (usually) Anne out to film interviews, workouts, etc because they can see value in the coverage we are providing. For example, Twin City Twisters paid our airfare and hotel, for me and Anne, and we covered the L10 meet + event finals and did some interviews, and then Anne went to their gym and filmed a workout with them and probably more interviews, but I'm not sure because I left to come back to school before she did that!

Northern Lights Classic was the first time I have gotten to travel to cover a meet and I had a blast! Everyone at Twin City Twisters was SOOOO nice!

The "team" has been growing slowly over the past ~6 months. After VISAs it seems like more and more people expressed interest in helping out. Like I said, I started helping in April of 09 and recently like 3 or 4 people have started contributing coverage, mainly from the Northeast.

One thing I want everyone to know, because it seems like a lot of people are unaware:

You can create your own coverage page if you are going to a meet or something! It can be called 'WOGA Gym" or whatever if you go to a gym, and you can post training clips or interviews if you want, or "WOGA Classic" and then upload routine videos and/or interviews. Literally, anyone can do it! :) I think we might have to approve its creation, but it is possible! It's not just Anne or I who can create coverage pages!

To generate $$, Gymnastike can create a website for you using the same technology we use for the site, and it's pretty cool. Fully customizable, in fact there is a link on the front page to 3 websites that Gymnastike has already made (Lark Podlaknik, Isabel Earl, and Tim McNeill) and information for if you want Gymnastike to build you your own website too. One really cool thing is that if we upload a video of, say, Lark, and we tag her in it, it automatically gets added to her website in addition to Gymnastike, and vice versa if she uploads a video. Pretty cool! Also we have recently started adding links under Resources, like ads for gymnastics camps or we also spoke to a AAI retail guy but I'm not sure if that will happen or not.

Personally I think we should set up some form of sponsorship, like people can donate money to Gymnastike so we can travel to cover more gyms, schools, meets, etc. But it's not my website so I don't suggest TOOOO much! What do yall think? I would love to go to VISA's again this year and maybe Worlds but I don't know if I can afford it, so we'll see! I'm pretty sure Anne is definitely going to VISA's. We are both from the DFW area so of course last year was super convenient for us to go!

Regarding the pronounciation, if you scroll to the very bottom of the page, there is a little description of how Gymnastike was derived and how it is pronounced! That's the only way I knew, way back in the beginning, haha!

I love the website too. I actually enjoy seeing the coaches talk about their gyms and the girls they coach. It really gives insight to how they see things and the gyms philosophy. Straight from the coaches/owners mouth so to speak! Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back