Hair bows: yay or nay in competitions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I see lots of girls with these types of bows at our competitions. Always matching the colors of their leo, though - not "out there" colors or patterns. I have seen full teams do this as well. Looks good on the young girls, but a little out of place on the 10+ girls.

I think the ones in that link are a bit large and "too much"...just my opinion! They do look like they would be right at home on a cheerleader!

I thought I would never say that I like crazy hair...but my wife...who coaches with me...is all for crazy hair. She likes crazy rubber band designs, glitter hair spray, and ribbons.

With the above being said...the ribbons that she puts in are a bit smaller than the ones in that photo.

As far as my opinion...if it supports the team colors and won't get wrapped around the bars...wear it.

Last edited:
the link has ribbon a bit big but I'm all for any hair decor that adds punch for any age. 10 and up in a competition like gymnastics, cheer, dance is not too old at all - its team spirit.

As long as the ribbon is secured, I think it looks great. We've never had them for club gymnastics, but in highschool gymnastics every year as a team bonding activity we get together and make hair ribbons.

I love ribbons for gym meets. As long as they aren't in the way and are attached tightly, go for it! The HS girls I'm coaching are debating scrunchies or ribbons and selfishly hope they go the ribbon route.

My HS team usually does something like this. (It's less child-ish) AC291-Red.gif

i think any bows are ok as long as they are not HUGE and in the way(i.e distraction to the gymnast). the one gymnastbeth posted looks appropriate.i think the second link you posted would be appropriate for gym. my team normally gets matching ribbon from michaels and tie them in our hair. you could also do something along these lines. just make sure it is in the gyms colors.
images

Both gyms my dd has been with require a bun and the scrunchie that matches the gymsuit.

I find watching girls with ponytails flipping around or hair ribbons like that is very distracting.

Just a humble Canadian opinion.

:)

yay :) one of my teammates buys ribbons of our team colors every year and it's just a little one for your ponytail. i think they're cute and add a little something!

I've always worn a scrunchie or a small piece of ribbon in my hair, but some moms at my gym just made these for everyone and I can't wait to wear mine at my meet this weekend:

(please work!)
I think the cheer bows like in the first link are a little too much and could be distracting.

I think small ribbons can be cute, but too big and you start to wonder if there's any hair underneath them at all.

My team always wears bows/ribbons; my coach loves them. We have one that is attached to a hair tie and it that matches our team leos.

Throwing in a judges opinion, small bows look cute on the younger girls. Too big and I think it is distracting (though not something we can or would take deductions for).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back