WAG Hair length?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ponyshine

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Can a gym club expect a gymnast with long hair to have to cut it shorter? I think this is reasonable if they clearly warn people in advance, BEFORE they join the gym club, but I don't see how they can insist after the gymnast has already joined that she cuts her hair. What do you think?

I realise that long hair can be a safety hazard, but the gymnast could always wear it in a bun. However, some gym clubs insist on gymnasts wearing their hair in a pony tail for competitions (everyone must have the same hair style). This puts long-haired gymnasts in a difficult position because their hair gets in the way when in a ponytail!

I am a gymnast who has always had very long hair. My previous gym didn't mind me competing with a bun, but my new club requires ponytails sometimes, so to solve this problem I have been thinking of how I can temporarily shorten my hair when it's in a ponytail!! Ihaven't cut my hair in years & I don't intend on doing so :) ;) :D

What do you think? Can a gym club ask you to cut your hair or not?

I shouldn't matter, as long as it is not in the way. But gym policies can be silly/specific/fill in word of choice.
Do you want to go against the grain and be the 'one' who doesn't like to conform, or are you willing to make a case....I always pick my battles with the gym.
If you feel strongly, then make your case.

at the old gym we had a girl whose hair was past her bottom, it could be a right pain if you were supporting as more than once I got whipped in the face, but what she would do is pont tail, small braids and then double them under the ponytail.

You can double up the pony tail. Pull it through once then pull it through half way to shorten it up.

You could also braid the to section and wrap it around the ponytail holder as if to make it a bun, secure it and then arrange the loose portion of the hair as a regular pony. Definitely more work but it can be done.

Our gym has asked some girls to cut their hair. HC knows I am not open to that, however, and doesn't push. Teams that require a specific competition hairdo like that does makes it harder to have long hair, but I would talk to the coach and figure out a compromise. My DDs hair is to her butt, and we braid three sections at the top, pull that all into a pony, then braid the bottom section up and add it into the pony with another tie, and then loop it all under into another pony, and finish with a matching scrunchie.

My DD gym is the exact opposite. DD prefers to keep her curly hair on the shorter side. It's just easier all around. One yr if we were talked to once about letting her hair grow we were talked to a hundred times. Mind you, we never purposely kept her haircut shorter, it just doesn't grow fast like some kids hair does. And being curly it's just easier for all involved here at home. Her coach at the time made DD feel embarrassed by the rude comments regarding her hair and how it always falls out of a ponytail. And each time she had to fix her hair at a meet, we knew what email would be coming. Her hair is typically plastered to her head for meets. We are a bun only gym. On occasion optionals have worn their hair in a "messy bun". IMO I don't think it's right to be told how my child's hair can and cannot be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back