Coaches Hands in beginner backhandsprings?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

coachAT

Coach
Reaction score
I am training up a group of girls JO level 2 to Level 3. When it comes to backhandsprings do you teach fingers facing in or traditional forward? I learned with fingers forward unless it’s in your vault. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to fingers facing in? Which do you teach and why!? The why is big for me as I really like to make the most informed decisions for my athletes! Thank you!!

I consider angled in 45 degrees to be the goal, but I'm not super-picky. I'll settle for straight or turned in, I just don't like them turned out.

I'm told angled in is safer for the wrists and elbows, but I don't have the medical expertise to back that up. Intuitively, it seems to me like the best angle to allow the athlete to safely bend the elbows if needed (we generally don't want arms bent at the low levels, but as the athlete gets more powerful, the arms don't really need to block anymore, and bent arms can help get a better angle on the snap at the end).

Definitely hands turned slightly in. Jamming into the floor with hands turned slightly in will result in bent arms, if the hands are turned even slightly out, this will result in hyperextended elbows.

Definitely hands turned slightly in. Jamming into the floor with hands turned slightly in will result in bent arms, if the hands are turned even slightly out, this will result in hyperextended elbows.
Thank you!

I consider angled in 45 degrees to be the goal, but I'm not super-picky. I'll settle for straight or turned in, I just don't like them turned out.

I'm told angled in is safer for the wrists and elbows, but I don't have the medical expertise to back that up. Intuitively, it seems to me like the best angle to allow the athlete to safely bend the elbows if needed (we generally don't want arms bent at the low levels, but as the athlete gets more powerful, the arms don't really need to block anymore, and bent arms can help get a better angle on the snap at the end).
Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Best Of All Time: Layout Jaeger

UPDATE: The Liukin Club

Back