Parents Help me understand the progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

klv8

Proud Parent
I'm a parent of a very enthusiastic 4 year old in a rec class. I have no prior experience with gymnastics, and I honestly don't know how far we plan to take this, but maybe you all could help me understand what we're in for if she does continue. One minute I'm seeing advice that it should be all fun and exploration at her age, and the next I'm hearing about 4 and 5 year olds in pre-team. So I'm curious where that shift normally happens -- where it suddenly gets more serious. Like I said -- I'm not at all sure that's where we're headed, and I have no intent to rush into that. I'm just curious since I don't have any experience myself and need to hear from other parents about what to expect in the next few years.

In the most general sense, the shift or transition comes when your daughter begins to show certain abilities and skills that warrant such a movement.

Expectations leads to disappointment. At 4 she is just having fun. Let her decide as she gets older if she wants to get on team. I think being on pre team at 4 or 5 is a gyms way of taking naive parents money. With the Olympics coming up I predict even more parents will get swindled into doing team. My DD just turned 8 and is a level 3. We started with mommie and me classes as a way for her to socialize with other kids. Don't take it so seriously. Whatever happens happens. Just make sure she is happy where she is.

There's no one universal progression. It widely varies gym to gym and child to child.

If and when she's interested in team or it feels like the right next step, ask her coach or the person working the desk what the next steps for your DD's gym are.

For now, she's four, so focusing on cultivating a love for the sport during rec classes should probably be the focus.

OK that makes sense. What has confused me is whether going into pre-team at 4 or 5 is the norm, or whether that's even necessary at all. I just hear of so many kids doing that, and I don't want that for my daughter right now - she's having a blast where she's at, she's doing really good at it, plus enjoying a ton of free time just being a kid! :) If we were approached about pre-team at this point (which I don't see happening, but I know others who have been at this age/skill level) I would say no anyway. But not having any experience to draw on, I've just been curious. She's been talking about wanting to compete someday, but....she's four. She talks about a lot of goals that may or may not actually happen. :) If she does continue to love it and do well, then I want to make the right decisions to give her opportunities. It's helpful to know that the progression looks different for everyone and we can just be free to do what works for us without ruining her chances to do more later if she chooses.

That thread on "what do you wish someone had told you" was what made me think that I should go ahead and just ask. :)

Remember also that pre-team means different things at different gyms. My dd entered into the team development path at three years old. But, this was just a one hour a week three year old class like any other, just more focused on shapes and strength and listening and following directions rather than the obstacle course style of three year old rec classes. This is what my dd wanted and thrived on. She was very frustrated in the less structured classes.

But this wasn't about being serious or committed, just more focused on developing gymnastics and the ability to work toward a team environment. Still very fun, at least for her. There were definitely kids that couldn't handle it and went back to rec, some of them deciding team wasn't for them and some coming back to it later. It just depends on the kid.

At four she was going to two one hour classes and at five moved to two two hour classes. She then skipped over a level of classes/early team and moved onto what was then level 4 team at nine hours a week at six. This was the big jump to seriousness, but by then she knew this is what she wanted and we let her try. She thrived and has never looked back.

Now, at other gyms it works totally different and every gym does it differently. Some just have rec classes and then have try outs for team. Some select for preteam out of their rec classes. Some secretly select out preteam kids and have them working big skills all tiny. This drives me crazy. My opinion is that if you are going to track a kid and 3or 4, great but keep it focused on fun and building an athlete with good shapes and foundations and strength. There is no reason in the world that a four year old should be doing back walk overs and back handsprings and levers and arch ups. This mom of a dd with back issues just cringes every time I see it.

Anyway, the point is that it is very important to understand how the development of team athletes happens at your gym. With this knowledge you can decide how to proceed, whether it be to stay with the status quo, ask about the possibility of working toward team or finding a different gym with a more compatible program. Remember though, most gyms are selective when it comes to team and not every kid will be given that opportunity. Not that that rules out team in some way, whether jo or xcel or whatever, for anybody. But you want to make sure the program, meets you where your needs are.

At four it is all about fun and nothing is at stake one way or the other at this point. If high level JO gymnastics is the goal though being in a program that supports that at some point will be imperative, but that decision doesn't need to happen at four. But, although I know all sorts of stories and individual circumstances abound, I would say that when it is time to start taking it seriously, whenever that may be for your child, get her in a program that is developing that level of gymnastics AND meets you family and Childs needs and personality. Bad basics and conditioning early on can be difficult to overcome later on, if it goes on for too long.

Good luck! Don't worry too much at this point. And really at any point along the way, we as parents just need to let them enjoy doing what they love. And believe me, we all have to remind ourselves of that regularly. LOL!!!

This is exactly the info I was needing and answers so many of my questions! Good to know. Our gym seems to go from rec to pre-team, and I'm not sure what the process is there. Not going to even worry about it at this point, but it helpful to know the different ways that gyms operate, and what to be looking for. My daughter has an amazing coach who helps each kid work at their individual best, while keeping it fun. So we're very happy the way things are. :)

What has confused me is whether going into pre-team at 4 or 5 is the norm, or whether that's even necessary at all
My daughter was on pre-team at age 8 (in fact, we didn't even start rec classes until almost 7), finished her level 2 season at 9, her level 4 season at 10, and will possibly be a level 6 at age 11.

You have time. ;)

Great post by @thefellowsmom above.

Building on her point about how preteam means something different at different gyms - age of preteamers is often directly related to what level your gym starts competing (in JO). Many (most?) gyms start first level of competition at Level 3, which has a minimum age of 6 years old. So preteam will often be average age 4-6. Many others starts at L4 (minimum age 7 I think), so preteam may be a little older. Still others compete Level 1 or Level 2 (minimum age 5 I htink), and preteam can then be 3 and 4 year olds.

Of course depending on the gym, there can be much older kids on preteam, too, though many gyms are very selective and won't go too much older than the younger age levels (they instead track those kids into Xcel or Rec). Our pre-team, for example, has kids up to age 8, but mostly age 5-6 - we start at L3. And before preteam, we have a couple levels of pre-preteam (developmental) that start at age 3 and are for kids who can handle more structure in the lessons and still have fun. We are a 'mid-range' gym - no elites, reasonably competitive, but not a 'power' gym. Though we do permit Xcel students of any age to track over into JO around level 4/5 if skills are comparable, older kids will initially be tracked into Xcel if they have not yet competed JO (so no 11 year olds on JO preteam, for example).

So though your daughter is only 4, at many gyms she would have already had a year or more of developmental specific classes (that are still fun if you are at a good gym), and would be tracked into preteam or even L1/2 at age 5 and be competing as a 5 year old.

I would say the most information you can consider for now is 1) the success of the gym you are at as measured by how competitive they are at both Compulsories and Optionals (or if they have elites, also good), and 2) learn at what maximum age they are invited to preteam, and how they are selected.

If #1 is reasonably good, then the program is likely solid, and will support whatever goals your daughter ends up having. Then you just need to understand #2 to know how much time you have at your current gym before you would have to commit to more hours/different class.

The thread on "What would you tell your former self" - I would tell myself what I just typed. I didn't understand any of it, and so I thought I could walk my kid in as a 7 year old and that was young enough for any goal she might develop. Although in one sense, yes, it is young enough to enjoy gymnastics (which she is doing as a 10 year old compulsory), it turned out my daughter was WAY more intensely driven, competitive, and in love with the sport than I would have ever guessed (with natural talent, maturity and strength to boot), but I missed the boat getting her into a proper preparatory program (before, or even after beginning at age 7) for her to be competitive at the level she would have liked. There is really no 'catching up' at this point, and I have watched her over this last year deal with some of that realization that she will not be playing in the same league (so to speak) as girls who started younger and with stronger programs in pre-team and such. Of course there is no telling how she actually would have fared, even in the 'best' program for higher level goals. She might have not kept up with the whiz kids and quit, who knows. But the 'missed the boat' feeling is a very hard one to squash, especially watching my daughter going through that realization. I am helping her focus on possible opportunities beyond gymnastics as she longs for a sport where she can work toward the top (perhaps collegiate level, not talking olympics). I will forever be grateful that she did discover gymnastics, though, as it has been wonderful for her in so many ways, and I love watching her every beautiful move :)

As a kid I "missed the boat" on a few things and regret it. By the time the opportunity was there, I was too old and it would've been more awkward than fun. So I want to be alert to those things with my daughter, without going to the opposite extreme and starting things too young. But she loves gymnastics and seems to be pretty good at it, based on feedback I'm getting, so I figure that if/when the time comes, I should at least be equipped with information!

Agree, those were great posts @Sasha as well as @thefellowsmom. The only thing I can add to your posts is that I don't think any parent will have a clue even if you get the "real scoop" at the time you sign up.

My gymmie started 'late' (lol, love how we say 7 is late to begin, especially when it's true with a sport like gymnastics). We were told upfront that team is a whole family commitment, not an individual child sport (in terms of schedule, cost, etc). We were at a gym that is pretty good with communicating how team works and what team would look like as a member family. The gym told us everything. I heard it. I believed them (and they were truthful).

I. HAD. NO. CLUE.

I had no idea the time commitment in real life. Finding carpools and navigating car pools? The struggles my gymmie would go through (good for her or not)? The financial toll this sport takes (vacations...what are those???)? The (probable) politics of a gym and a booster club?

Notice I'm not talking about actual gymnastics (what my daughter practices/competes). That has been amazing to watch her work and grow. But everything else? Until you are in it, you just won't know.

I agree with thefellowsmom and Sasha.

I also wanted to add that my Dd started preteam at 4. She went onto level 1 at 5, level 2 at 6, and level 3 at 7. She is training level 4 now. She thinks it is all fun. Rec was fun. Preteam was fun. Level 1-3 were fun. Level 4 is fun. TOPS is fun. She is conditioning a lot more now and she thinks that is fun. She goes into every practice smiling and comes out of every practice smiling.

So entering a competitive track does not mean it isn't fun any more, especially for the little ones.

This was me when my YdD was asked to pre-pre-team when she was 3. It was 3 days a week for an hour and a half. A few weeks later my 5 year old was asked to pre-team, this was 6 hour a week, 3 practices a week... I had no idea what that meant at the time. But what I knew was.... my kids live gymnastics and wanted to be in the gym as much as possible. So there it was. Here we are almost 5 years and a gym later and my daughter both competed l3 two seasons and now moving to jo4 at 8 and 10 in the fall... 12 hours a week in gym, the cost. ... about 10k a year for them both. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Girls love it!! But don't think about it... if they want her on pre-team they will ask her.. no pressure. Just keep it light and fun and things will fall into place :)

OK that makes sense. What has confused me is whether going into pre-team at 4 or 5 is the norm, or whether that's even necessary at all. I just hear of so many kids doing that, and I don't want that for my daughter right now - she's having a blast where she's at, she's doing really good at it, plus enjoying a ton of free time just being a kid! :) If we were approached about pre-team at this point (which I don't see happening, but I know others who have been at this age/skill level) I would say no anyway. But not having any experience to draw on, I've just been curious. She's been talking about wanting to compete someday, but....she's four. She talks about a lot of goals that may or may not actually happen. :) If she does continue to love it and do well, then I want to make the right decisions to give her opportunities. It's helpful to know that the progression looks different for everyone and we can just be free to do what works for us without ruining her chances to do more later if she chooses.

That thread on "what do you wish someone had told you" was what made me think that I should go ahead and just ask. :)
In our gym, you can't get on pre-team until after the highest rec level... And you have to be AT LEAST 6 years old. Pre-team lasts 3 months, then they either move to team or go back to high rec.

Pre-team starts at different ages in different gyms. Some gyms have girls in pre-team for a year or more... Some have different levels of pre-team. Some gyms want 4-5 year olds for pre-team and think a 7 year old is too old to start pre-team... Some want them to be 5-7. It all depends on the gym.
The best thing to do would be to ask parents and coaches at your gym.

Eight years ago, I found myself in your shoes. I wish I had known just a little bit more then. I didn't find this forum for another 4 years after that! One thing I LOVE about this group is the diversity of experiences. There is no doubt that every gym is different, sometimes extremely so! You have received some very sound advice. I have no doubt that Kipper's path would have been different if we had chosen another gym early on. But different doesn't necessarily mean better. In terms of when it gets "serious", it can be that way at L3 or L4, and it is "serious" at nearly all gyms once they are training for optional levels. This seems to mean 5 days per week in the gym as a norm (again a lot of variety) For some, it can come at age 7 or 8, for others, it might not happen until age 12 or 13. Most will be in the middle. The most important thing is that the decision to be "serious" is driven by the child. I have seen too many talented kids leave the sport because they weren't mentally or emotionally ready for the intensity level dictated by their physical skill. You are wise to be thinking about that now!

As a kid I "missed the boat" on a few things and regret it. By the time the opportunity was there, I was too old and it would've been more awkward than fun. So I want to be alert to those things with my daughter, without going to the opposite extreme and starting things too young. But she loves gymnastics and seems to be pretty good at it, based on feedback I'm getting, so I figure that if/when the time comes, I should at least be equipped with information!

You've got time! Just enjoy!

My dd didn't even start gymnastics till 7. Competed old lv 3 (equivalent to lv 2) at age 8, competed new lv 3 at age 9, jumped to and competed lv 6 at age 10, competed lv 7 at age 11, and is now training lv 8 at 12. Dd is usually in one of the younger age divisions at meets!

Hope this helps and that she continues to LOVE gymnastics! Because, THAT is what it's all about!

There's plenty of time!
True, it differs depending on gym/area and it's always good to be prepared and informed!
At our gym, we like them to begin preteam/developmental at age 5-6. Ideally they should be ready for L3 or even 4 at age 7 or 8. That doesn't. Mean we don't have plenty of older gymnasts on team, or that we don't allow that. Currently in my developmental team I have girls age 5-almost 8. On L3 we have girls ages 6(almost 7) to 9, and we did make a conscious effort to move the older ones to Xcel this year. Our L4 team has ages 7-12 on it.
DD started gymnastics at age 6, moved to developmental team at age 8, started L4 training 6 mo later at age 9. She just turned 12 and finished her first season of L7, training L8 (but might compete 7 again, who knows!). She's by no means a phenom, just a hard worked. She is almost always in one of the youngest age groups at competitions even though we do have a few girls age 9-10 also in the same level. There aren't enough of them that young so the group is usually a larger spread.

My DD started rec gymnastics as a 4 year old after getting booted out of ballet class for doing a pull over on the movable barre (among other things). She moved into an invitation only preschool class at age 5 and on to pre-team at age 6. She began competing old L3 as a 7 year old, old L5 as an 8 year old and then tested out of old L6 when the level changes happened.

At age 9, she did a half year at new L6 and a half year at L7. She then did a full year of L7 as a 10 year old and just finished up her L8 season as an 11 year old. She is on track to compete L9 this January as a 12 year old. She has always been in the youngest award division except at regionals where she was in the second youngest. She is the third youngest L9 in our state so she has moved quickly for our area. But who knows how she compares to other states.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back