Parents Help Needed - Reality Check on Switching Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought, reading the post, she was OK with missing the State meet because she was feeling overworked generally.

Okay, we'll see what they have to say...

As to the whole state issue:

My daughter loves gymnastics but doesn't seem to care for competitions that much. She skipped level 4 and jumped to level 5. This is her first season actually competing in front of judges and seems to be quite intimidated - cries at meets even before she's competed...(this is why she was relieved about not doing state) Before you tell me she shouldn't have skipped level 4.... in level 5, even though she falls apart before she competes...she actually scored many 9's and won 2 meets with over 75 kids on the floor (she came in 1st in all ages in these 2 meets).

So that's even more gut wrenching in all of this is that she's good at what she does, but she's still an 8 year old (very small for her age and very "young" for her age). She's very social and loves to play with her friends as much as anything else. I'm just a mom trying to do what's best for my kid without alienating the whole gymnastics community.

But to wrap all this up (and I thank all of you for taking the time to give me honest feedback)...I'll call the current gym and give them a chance to accommodate our needs. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

When my DD changed levels last January, the 8:00 pm time about did her in, so I completely understand. I worked it out with the HC that we would leave at 7:30. That was fine, and we did that for about four months. When summer came and she was able to sleep longer in the morning, we stayed the entire time. She has adjusted now. It really wasn't a big deal. But, I did not ask or expect a decrease in our fees. It was my decision not to keep her there the entire practice. At our gym, I know a few girls that have skipped a practice each week, mostly because they were competing in other sports. Again, not really a big deal. But, everyone continues to pay the entire tuition.

I think it is definitely worth asking, especially if you like most everything else about the gym.

Blue

major guilt trip but frankly my daughter has been very happy now that the pressure is off.

Now is a good time to make a change as we will have to pay new registration fees, buy new leos anyway at her current gym in January.

Anyone have words of wisdom?

I think you answered your own question! In all seriousness... your daughter is 8 years old. She was relieved she didn't have to attend her state meet, and she's not getting enough sleep. She needs a break from all of those hours. And as you stated, now would be a perfect time to make that switch.

EDIT: O.K... so I responded first w/o reading all the replies... BUT I still maintain that if she wasn't excited, and in fact relieved for not having to go to the state meet, that speaks volumes of her desire to be in the sport AT LEAST at this club. . . most kids are so excited for the state meet... it's such a big deal ESPECIALLY at L4 and 5!

My daughter loves gymnastics but doesn't seem to care for competitions that much. She skipped level 4 and jumped to level 5. This is her first season actually competing in front of judges and seems to be quite intimidated - cries at meets even before she's competed...(this is why she was relieved about not doing state) Before you tell me she shouldn't have skipped level 4.... in level 5, even though she falls apart before she competes...she actually scored many 9's and won 2 meets with over 75 kids on the floor (she came in 1st in all ages in these 2 meets).

So that's even more gut wrenching in all of this is that she's good at what she does, but she's still an 8 year old (very small for her age and very "young" for her age). She's very social and loves to play with her friends as much as anything else. I'm just a mom trying to do what's best for my kid without alienating the whole gymnastics community.

But to wrap all this up (and I thank all of you for taking the time to give me honest feedback)...I'll call the current gym and give them a chance to accommodate our needs. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

competition anxiety is very common in competitive sports. it's perfectly normal and they do eventually outgrow it. i'll be waiting to hear what their solution is to your concern. i won't hold my breath but hoping they'll do the right thing as many of my colleagues would do.:)

I appreciate you clarifying this. I won't tell you she should have done L4---many girls don't. My gymmie never did L4--her gym did not start competition until L5. This would be something I would seriously discuss with her current gym or one that you might move to. If she really does not like competing right now then the coach's approach and plan for your dd needs to be a little different. GL with your decision.

I noticed in the original post that her dd was struggling with the pressure - or at least very relieved to have none at the moment. If she is in a high pressure situation combined with high # of hours, it might not be a good fit, even though the mom doesn't have serious complaints. Finding a low pressure situation with fewer hours might be a really good option for them. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back