WAG Help with backhandspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 7 year old daughter will compete this winter for the first time as a level 4. She has been training for about 9 months. She has had her round off backhandspring for many months, but is still bending her legs a bit on the bankhandspring. Her coach insists on no practice (no robhs) outside of the gym to avoid injury. Can anyone recommend any exercises she could do at home to help straighten those legs? We are very new to the competitive gymnastics world! Any tips would be appreciated!

Let her coach do the coaching. If they want her doing an exercise for it, they will tell you & your daughter. Learning to straighten immediately upon pushoff takes time.

You should ask them if they'd like your dd to work on some form exercises at home. They may be a little bashfull about asking for a little homework to be done because it puts them in a position of appearing unable to make everything happen........ Some coaches just roll that way, while others see their coaching role as that of coach, counselor, mentor, and facilitator. Those who use a more diverse approach feel that kids can choose, strictly of their own accord, to do some limited activities at home to support their training.

The problem with this is that some parents see this as an implied request to start coaching their kid 24/7, and that isn't a good thing....even for a kid who's talks, eats, and sleeps gymnastics 24/7, they still need their parents to be a safe refuge from the sport and the drama that sometimes comes with it.

She will get it! It takes practice to get straight legs. No one has it at first. I wouldn't do anything, her coach knows the problem and I am sure she is working on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back