Parents Hi - I just signed up...

• Thread starter Thread starter anothergymmom
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

anothergymmom

Hello Everyone... I just signed up with The Chalk Bucket...

thanks to Bogwoppit for the tip - I am knew to this forum thing, so did not know to post my thread in the parent forum... so here it is:

we are in a hard transition period, and I and hoping to get some feedback from all you seasoned parents...

my daughter has been in artistic gymnastics for 5 years and is a USAG 5... she is 12 and 5'-4. she just switched from AAU to USAG, and not surprisingly, her scores dropped... she loves the sport and does not want to quit, but after hours in the gym working so hard, walking away from meets with nothing is very disapointing...

she is getting tall, and everytime she grows, her center of gravity changes, and it is like learning the skills all over again... because of her body build, she does well on beam and ok on floor, but her vault and bars are not great...

to add to that, our gym has gone thru some major administrative problems, so we have decided we need to move on to somewhere else.

it seems the Prep-Op program might be the best for her. She is also thinking of trying Rhythmic, since she also has been taking ballet for years, but I wonder if she is too old...

it has been so hard just thinking about all this change!!! she has been with the same coaches for 4 years - for a 12 year old, that is a third of her life!!! they are like family to us. She has spent countless hours at that gym and have great friends there...

I just hope we make the right decision for her... thanks in advance for your responses...

My DD's gym competes compulsory USAG in the fall and Prep Op in the spring. The girls love to get to do something different. I think it might be a good fit for your DD. It is so hard to watch our kids struggle, be it an injury, growth spurt, fear issue etc.

Ithink you will find CB very supportive no matter which road you andyour DD choose.

Hello...and Welcome to the CB's virtual bleachers.

Since Bog already encouraged you join our little cult...err.. "community", I think you'll quickly find that this truly is a best place to gloat, cry, complain, and of course ask questions about gymnastics. We're all here to help.

It sounds like your DD has a real passion. Perhaps Prep-Op would be a nice move. Too old for rhythmic? I would hardly think so. It sounds like the perfect fit... and a nice challenge too. I would remind her not to concern herself too much about scores or medals. They are nice trinkets for sure, but they don't come close to recognizing her real accomplishments.

Let us know what happens.

Welcome to the board! I don't have any real advice, my daughter hardly seems to grow at this point. I hope you find the program that's the best fit for your dd.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your daughter and her gym experiences!

thanks Tim_Dad for the words of encouragement... I should have signed up to the CB earlier!!! very comforting to know I am not alone. We had so many issues at our gym it has been heartbreaking - I have never experienced anything like it in my life. I will share more after we leave. I don't feel it is appropriate at this time for me to comment on it... We have one more meet the end of this month and that will finish our commitment for the season...

Not much advise from me either, but just some words of encouragement - hang in there, things have a way of working out! Good luck at the meet the end of this month. We're always here so just a line whenever you need to! ;)

I don't know anything about prepop, but from what others have posted here, it sounds like it might be a great option for her--more fun routines :-). I don't think she's too old for trying something new! I know it's hard when she's been doing something for many years to think of making a switch, but that's part of life! Never be afraid of trying a new direction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back