Parents Homeschooling in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym offers a homeschool program in the gym that is by invitation only. I have no intentions of hs my children as we are able to keep them in a wonderful private school and I just don't think it's something I could do! Props to all the parents that do. But I have concerns about this hs program in the gym as these kids gets extra training and as they are always at the gym, it's very difficult to not see the favoritism these families get. Anyone else have this type of program at their gym? Is this common? Also, the invitation into the program is only extended to certain families of gymnasts that have certain skills. This just does not seem fair in so many ways!

It is not uncommon for some gyms to have an "elite track" program which requires two workouts/day. The families that choose this for their daughters often decide that home school is the best option for their gymnast. Not every gymnast is a good fit for this program. Not only does it require certain skills, but it also requires other traits from the gymnast like work ethic, mental toughness, coachability, attitude, AND it also requires total commitment of not only the gymnast, but their family. I personally think it is wonderful that the gym is helping to facilitate the often overwhelming and confusing process of homeschooling. It makes perfect sense to me that this would be by invitation only. I am sure the tutoring staff or whoever they bring in for educational assistance and proctoring is limited and they need to make the best use of their resources. Sort of like a return on investment. I would be willing to bet that the participating gymnasts don't "get" extra practices- but rather I am sure the extra practices are required and part of the curriculum.

Is it fair? I think so. Not every family is able to make the sacrifices needed to go far in this sport. When you find one, and it contains a gymnast with talent and potential- I think it is absolutely fair for a gym to be selective in their process.

In any event, it sounds like you are happy with your children's current education situation.

Actually, they are not bringing in any outside tutors. It is completely parent only supervised learning. All the gym is doing is providing a room for these parents. I question if this is even ok from a legal standpoint. Sorry, I do not see the fairness in this. If you want to homeschool, that is great. Do it as should be done - from your home. And then come to the gym to train, whether it be for one or two sessions per day. As a side note, if there was a tutor or educational prrofessional on board- that would be a game changer.

I think it's just something you should consider in what gym your kids attend.

There's a swim team I was considering moving my daughter to because they have a very robust day program (2pm workout) and she'd be able to continue with gymnastics etc. in the evening. They collect a fairly steep tuition 9months of the year and your summers are "free," so it works out to be relatively reasonable. But then I found out that they do not offer daytime workouts in the summer months, so the free summer months are useless to us if she's going to continue with her evening programs. I didn't feel that was "fair" compared to other swim team that charges a much lower rate per month for the daytime (homeschooled) swimmers with the option to continue paying if you want summer workouts. But it's just a "fair to me" issue. Yes, the first team is forcing me to pay for something I can't use unless DD drops other activities. The one that matches my needs better is an extra 10 minute drive each way and who knows how much that would cost me in gas and wear and tear to the car over the coming years. I just have to pick.

As long as you are happy with the training that your child receives after school, I would not worry about what other gymnasts are doing. And yes, it usually is invitation only. Two a day practices simply are not necessary (and can lead to burnout, overuse injury, etc) for any gymnast that is not on an elite track. If this was simply open and available to anyone, you may have overzealous parents with kids who love being in the gym signing them up for this even though they really do not have what it takes to go the elite route. I would actually be suspicious of a gym that opened this up to anyone as it is a lot of money, time, and sacrifice for families to do this, and I would think you would only want to do that if your child truly had what it takes. Families who go this route are making the decision to put their gymnastics ahead of their school. The sole purpose of homeschooling at the gym is to facilitate more practice time for gymnastics.
As far as "favoritism" goes, if there is any favoritism, it is not because the families are in the homeschool program, but it is because these gymnasts have been identified as having the characteristics needed to be potential elite gymnasts. So, the "favoritism" would exist whether the homeschool program was there or not.

A lot of homeschooling doesn't take place in the home. Families who homeschool often work out co-teaching arrangments and it sounds like that's what this is. Also, if I was going to homeschool my child, and if she was doing gymnastics both before and after her lessons, I think I'd want to do it this way... more social interaction for her, more social interaciton for me, I get to draw on the strengths of the other parents involved in the program and they get to draw on mine, less time in the car driving to and from the gym, etc.

If kids in the "regular" gymnastics program are being ignored at the expense of the "home school" group, that's not O.K., but I don't see a real problem with the program itself. I have to admit, while trying to juggle school and gym for a level 6 5th grader and thinking what the logistics of it will be when/if she's a level ? high school student, I have fantasized about a similar arrangment myself. Not that I really think I'd do it, unless I was truly unsatisfied with the education she was getting in "regular" school and thought that the homeschooling (or, more likely, cyber charter) was a better option from an educational standpoint and not just from a gymnastics standpoint. But it's nice to fanatisize about an arrangement where school and gym didn't seem to be in constant conflict.

Actually, they are not bringing in any outside tutors. It is completely parent only supervised learning. All the gym is doing is providing a room for these parents. I question if this is even ok from a legal standpoint. Sorry, I do not see the fairness in this. If you want to homeschool, that is great. Do it as should be done - from your home. And then come to the gym to train, whether it be for one or two sessions per day. As a side note, if there was a tutor or educational prrofessional on board- that would be a game changer.

As a homeschooling parent, I was amused by your comments. No offense taken or given. There is nothing illegal about what is being done. Homeschooling is not named as such because it is done at home but because it is the "home"(aka family) that is doing the teaching. We do a lot of learning outside the home. And I don't really see why bringing in a "professional" would be a game changer in your eyes. These families are getting together to pool their resources together. The gym is a convenient place for them to do it.

As for the favoritism, as the others said, this is an invitation only program, which means the coaches are already handpicking these girls for some reason. Homeschool program or not, they are likely going to get more attention in the gym. And I am assuming that if they are actually getting more practice time than the rest of the team, they are paying for it. So I don't see fairness being an issue.

Are you happy with the level of coaching and attention your dd is getting? Is she progressing according to her potential? If the answers are yes, then there is no reason to worry about what others are getting. If the answers are no, then you need to look at whether this is the right gym for your dd. But it really has nothing to do with the group of homeschoolers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Actually, they are not bringing in any outside tutors. It is completely parent only supervised learning. All the gym is doing is providing a room for these parents. I question if this is even ok from a legal standpoint.
What would be illegal about being in a room in the gym?

Sorry, I do not see the fairness in this.
What does fair have to do with it? It's probably a merit system. You don't get to just choose yourself to be in Level 10 - you have to earn it. What's different about this?

If you want to homeschool, that is great. Do it as should be done - from your home. And then come to the gym to train, whether it be for one or two sessions per day.

Why eat the commute to and from the gym multiple times per day if there's an extra room available at the gym?

What would be illegal about being in a room in the gym?

What does fair have to do with it? It's probably a merit system. You don't get to just choose yourself to be in Level 10 - you have to earn it. What's different about this?

Why eat the commute to and from the gym multiple times per day if there's an extra room available at the gym?
I 100% agree with all of this. I am making plans to home school my gymnast and the reasons having nothing whatsoever to do with gymnastics. I feel with our current districts plan for school in the following years more diservice educationally will happen. I being a teacher can educate my DD better and can offer her the challenge that her current school could not offer her. However, I would love to have a group gather at her gym. The problem is although I do think DD is talented, her coaches have also said as much, the 'elite' track is not one they are pursuing at the gym. So the likelyhood of that group forming is zilch! Oh well!

Many high level 'elite' gyms, Texas Dreams being one, do have school within the gym for their elite gymnasts. As an educator what that tells me is that education is important to them. One poster said that some families place gym above school. If homeschooling is done right, then what a situation like Texas Dreams and the gym you are at seem to be doing says the opposite. They are finding a balance between school and gym life. Many of us seek that balance. As an educator, I can attest to the fact that many minutes are wasted in schools. It doesn't matter how much we try to preserve every minute as educational that time is wasted. Not to mention on average, most gymnasts are great students. They are in gym because of the challenge gym offers. Their school life should be full of challenges. My DD has limited challenges offered to her in school. She is high achieving and has proven it on report cards, tests, etc. Yet, she is relagated to going at the same pace as her struggling classmates. I CAN do better for her. I would LOVE to get a group from her gym together and work through this with their parents. Sorry for the repitition. Where is your gym again....JK!

And like others have said, those girls at your gym are probably being groomed for high level gymnastics. There is no problem with that. INMHO, they should be given more time in the gym and kudos to the coaches/owner for offering them a place to do their work.

I've thought about homeschooling, just to give my daughter more free time. Public schools here are inflexible, private schooling would require us to move and create a financial burden. Actually, it seems not fair that your kids get to be at a great private school and at a gym capable of training elites and mine don't. ;)

If your kids are happy with private school and their current level of training, then I wouldn't worry about it. Gymnastics is not always fair, so all you can do is make sure your kid is happy and training to her ability and potential.

It is not uncommon for some gyms to have an "elite track" program which requires two workouts/day. The families that choose this for their daughters often decide that home school is the best option for their gymnast. Not every gymnast is a good fit for this program. Not only does it require certain skills, but it also requires other traits from the gymnast like work ethic, mental toughness, coachability, attitude, AND it also requires total commitment of not only the gymnast, but their family. I personally think it is wonderful that the gym is helping to facilitate the often overwhelming and confusing process of homeschooling. It makes perfect sense to me that this would be by invitation only. I am sure the tutoring staff or whoever they bring in for educational assistance and proctoring is limited and they need to make the best use of their resources. Sort of like a return on investment. I would be willing to bet that the participating gymnasts don't "get" extra practices- but rather I am sure the extra practices are required and part of the curriculum.

Is it fair? I think so. Not every family is able to make the sacrifices needed to go far in this sport. When you find one, and it contains a gymnast with talent and potential- I think it is absolutely fair for a gym to be selective in their process.

In any event, it sounds like you are happy with your children's current education situation.

Very well stated.

Yikes! I'm hoping you aren't a parent at our gym. Sounds like you need a hobby or something to redirect your attention.

Yes the home school kids get extra training, that's the reason for home schooling.

I wish they had an option like this at our gym as I am sure the coaches do as well. In our city there are not even "sports specialty" schools to consider when looking for options to ensure a good education and training schedules.

I do also pay for private school - not that we can really afford it - as we used to live in a very small town where I did not think the schooling was adequate. Our school has made it very clear that even though they have been okay with my DD having to leave 4 out of 5 days a week early; that moving forward into the higher grades this will be an issue and I doubt that we will be able to stay there. If we had this option I think it would be great as I would not be surprised if some of the parents "teaching" at the gym were once teachers or just a capable as the ones offered in either the private or public school system. In our case DD is only 8yo so I just keep putting off the inevitable. I figure we should be okay until she is finished junior school (grade 5) and at that point she most likely will have reached the point in gymnastics when she is still committed and going for it or it will have run its course and we will not have to choose.

I think what you fear is favouritism in the gym is most likely mis-interpeted. There are kids that are chosen into fast track programs - in gymnastics it just seems to happen at an earlier age than other sports - and parents who do feel school is important, but also want to allow their child to dream so to speak are just looking for ways to do both. Being chosen for fast track is not being favoured, but just a reality of life. All kids have different gifts and it so happens that the kids that get chosen have gymnastics as their gift and want to take it as far as they possibly can.

As they are in the gym more often it easily could seem that the relationship with the owners and coaches is different and it maybe so. Our coaches prefer our "national" gymnasts to train during the day for what I feel are very good reasons for the gym and the child. Being able to go to school in the morning, train in the afternoon allows them to still have family time including meals in the evening, do schoolwork and get the proper rest.

It also allows the gym more room/time for students that are not on this path or that the program just does not work for them. So I think what you feel may be extra training is really the same amount of training offered to the levels depending on where your child is at; it is just done at a time of day when there is less going on in the gym.

I see your DD is young too so you have a bit of time on your side to just sit back and watch her enjoy herself!

I

If you want to homeschool, that is great. Do it as should be done - from your home. And then come to the gym to train, whether it be for one or two sessions per day. As a side note, if there was a tutor or educational prrofessional on board- that would be a game changer.

Can you see how that would be incredibly burdensome to the kids and parent, to have to drive an hour to gym, an hour home, an hour to gym and and hour home at night? Because I bet in any elite program there are going to be a ton of kids coming from the 1-2 hour commute range.

I bet a lot of your gym's home school kids are actually enrolled in a virtual academy and are completing their public or private school day there at the gym.

At any rate ... no home schooling does not have to be done at the kitchen table. Each state prescribes who can be responsible for supervising the required school day (or some do not really worry about it because they know that the home schooled kids do fine ... especially once you start looking at the outcome of the government's own school systems). My state says it can be the parent or someone with a college degree (which is a standard that most if not all private schools in the US are not held to). But of course if a child is in a public or private virtual school then anyone can make sure they are moving through their work, because those kids are not legally "home schooled."

Wow-didn't intend to incite a riot here! We've been at other gyms and know people atbother gyms and this is the only one that has this homeschool program. So my experience has not shown this to be the norm. I did also look at some other older posts regarding this and saw that gyms can run into potential problems doing this because in a group setting it can become looked at as a charter type program. I'm not simply throwing garbage out. And my DD is part of the elite program, just not homeschooled like a handful of her teammates are. We all make sacrifices. There have been some things that have happened that have made me question this program and it's fairness to the gym as a whole. Maybe other similar programs are run better and more tactfully. When I give my money to this or any gym, I want to know it is for the improvement of all the athletes, coaches, equipment & facility- not to improve a select group.

No riot - just lots of strong opinions. I'm not sure I really know enough to have an opinion but I can see how you might be frustrated. In the ideal situation, it seems good, but like you said, if it isn't run appropriately by the parents and/or the gym, then you deserve more of an explanation. Good luck and welcome to Chalk Bucket, I see that you are new!

Well I think it is a great idea wish they had that at my dd's last gym. Anything that involves less travel and time sitting around for hrs, for me is a bonus :).

I think this definitely has its place. I know one gym that does it here. My only concern with it is that they do 2 a days every day with kiddos as young as 7 (boys). This seems like a lot to me, and more of a parental choice for gymnastics, but that's ok. I thought about it after regionals, and how excited my son was to go to school and tell his teacher and friends how he did, and what he won, and then thought about the kids from this gym who get to go back to the gym......

ETA: This gym runs a charter school with their gym program. A little different, but still kiddos working out more. (and they are known for their favoritism! LOL! You can even see it at meets!)

I can see when ds is older, if we are at that level, doing somethign different. But you can go elite without it. We have a girl at our gym that did high school, graduated a semester early, and is on the National Team. So, it can be done. This is just a service being offered.

So as long as your dd is getting good coaching, doing well, and loving gymnastics, I guess what the other kiddos do isn't that big a deal. But, if she isn't, then it might be time to look at options.

A lot of homeschooling doesn't take place in the home. Families who homeschool often work out co-teaching arrangments and it sounds like that's what this is. Also, if I was going to homeschool my child, and if she was doing gymnastics both before and after her lessons, I think I'd want to do it this way... more social interaction for her, more social interaciton for me, I get to draw on the strengths of the other parents involved in the program and they get to draw on mine, less time in the car driving to and from the gym, etc.

This is right on. As a homeschool parent (not gymnastics related) myself, we do lots of learning outside the home, with other families, and I trade subjects with a few people. I also homeschool my son at the tables in the gym while waiting for dd several times a week, so it sounds like the same type of thing. Maybe they're just letting them use the room and the parents are organizing the homeschooling without it being a gym "program". If I had to get dd to the gym twice a day, you can bet I'd be using their tables to get some school work done in between, whether other parents joined us or not!

Someday your daughter will thank you for keeping her in school rather than schooling in some room at a gym. I was a high level swimmer growing up. In gymnastic terms, I would have been considered an elite. I certainly trained like one and swam on scholarship in college. I trained alongside Olympians. Same hours, same training method. National qualifier, but never made it to the high echelons of the sport. I calculate that by high school I was training 28.25 hours a week. This included 3 before school practices, 5 weeknight practices and two on Saturday (except meet weekends). We had kids move from other parts of the country who lived with families to train with us. In my whole swimming journey, I never once met a swimmer who did not attend regular school. We simply rose early, went to practice, went to school, went back to practice, went home and ate and went to bed. Homework was done in study halls and any spare minutes we had. We all managed a social life both at school and at the pool. We all went to our proms. We missed stuff sometime for swim meets, but big deal. We traveled, had fun, worked hard but we certainly all had a life outside of the pool. We saw movies, went bowling, drank a little beer here and there (gasp!it was the 80s), went to parties after Friday practice was done at 7:45.

Keep giving your daughter a life outside the gym. Don't worry that they might get something she doesn't. Alot of gymnasts have gone to school and lived with out spending all day at the gym. Amanda Borden, Jaycie Phelps, Shannon Miller all went to school. Chances are, she's not going to be an Olympian, but she only has one youth. You don't want her whole life to be in the gym. Just my two cents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back