Parents Houston, public school, and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stillhoping

Proud Parent
I am looking for gymnastics programs in the greater Houston area that support traditional schooling for upper level optionals and pre-elite kids. So far, I have found one, Discover. Do you know of any others?

Towards the south side would be better, but we would be willing to travel to any part, as long as we could get her to practice on time. I know that Houston is huge and the traffic is horrible.

Our gym is moving to a homeschool model. We are very happy with our kid's current school, and we do not want to homeschool. There are not enough coaches at the current gym to support both a new homeschool program and the existing afterschool training schedule.

Pearland Elite has both, Houston Gymnastic Center does not do homeschool, both in the southwest, Stars on the west side do both.

It is my understanding that the gyms that do both (Stars, AIM, WCC) put priority on their homeschool program, but maybe that is not always the case. We contacted Stars and were told that she would need to homeschool. We are not interested in Pearland Elite. I will contact HGC, but I am not familiar with their upper level optionals. I was looking at Iron Cross also, because they seem to have recently snagged some spots in the TOPs lists and Developmental Invite lists. But, I also do not know their school policy. I am trying to be cautious about contacting multiple gyms.

Flips in Spring has evening hours and World Champion Center has both day and evening options on the North side.

Iron Cross was talking about starting a homeschool program but do not know if they started it yet. They seem to concentrate on the lower levels but seem to do good with them.
AIM has both for optionals, the home school does two a day on a couple of days which is the only difference between the groups. The none HS group starts at 2:30 every day except Sat which start 8 AM.

If anyone has any information on Discover that they are willing to share, here or in a private message, I would appreciate that. I have heard a range of things so far.

If anyone has any information on Discover that they are willing to share, here or in a private message, I would appreciate that. I have heard a range of things so far.
we have a very good friend who use to be with our daughter who has moved to discover so know a little bit about them. She is now a L10 but it took her three years at Discover to get there even though she was placing in the top 5 in 9. The coaches are very "stand-offish", no hugs if doing good, etc. No moving up unless perfect but they are very good if your daughter can handle that type of coach. Ours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back