How do you cope with pressure?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's just a curious question what do you do before competing or starting a routine? Are you very nervous before or can you easly cope with it? Do you feel a lot of pressure? Do you have any tricks or "ritual" for getting focused just before starting? Or after failing one of your skills, series or whatever are you able to stay focused and keep going or you just do wrongly everything after that?

I must say I've always been a really nervous person and the moments before starting a routine are the worst seconds ever. The hardest part is when I get just in the border of the matt while the gymnast before me is still performing. What I do is I get on relevé, or I throw the ball, putting well my ribbon or something like that just to kill the time. There's always a coach with us just before compete, my coach usually tells me with what things I must be careful and to go for it, and being relaxed. Another thing that she does is like a type of massage in the ears, she holds the up part of them and do circules moving the ears, it's really relaxing and helps me to focus a lot.
When I fail on something I lose my temper many times but looking at my coach always helps me, it's like it makes me more confident, but it's not easy.

When I was in the group We used to hold hands together makin a circle and get concentrate. ^^

I have a lot of troubles with being nervous before meets. I used to be a lot worse, but recently I've been able to manage my nerves better. I chat with my teammates, since they're always able to cheer me up, and I always listen to what my coach says. I obsessively practice my beam routine on a line and she'll make me sit down and listen to a pep talk.

Really the best thing for me is to make myself talk or listen to other people. When I'm alone everything seems scarier.

I get VERY nervous before a meet. Up to the point where i cant fall asleep the night before and i feel sick. The night before I like to take a hot shower or if we are at a hotel, go swimming and sit in the hot tub. I also like to watch a movie or do anything that helps me relax. The day of the meet I have to get to the venue early. usually a good hour or more early so I can get used to the atmosphere and not be stressed about getting there on time. Before I compete on each event I have to have my feet and hands coated in chalk because when I get nervous, my hands and feet tend to sweat a lot! other than that I dont do anything special. I just hope for the best!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back