Parents How does your gym welcome new team families?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ShesAMonkey

Proud Parent
I had the opportunity to email recently with a new L3 mom (regarding a fundraiser I am running) and she said in one of her emails how lost she feels. She said she has never met the coaches, has no idea what booster club is for or how fundraisers work, had no idea that her daughter even had a mailbox at the gym for communication, etc. And it made me remember that this is exactly how I felt, all those years ago, after my dd made the team. No real "welcome" or even "orientation" from the gym. We were left trying to figure it all out on our own. I think it was the better part of a year before I even had a brief conversation with any of the coaches. When dd made the team, we were given a sheet with our practice times, a handbook of sorts (which definitely didn't answer all of my questions) and not much else.

So, I guess my question is: is this normal? Or do other gyms have a great system for welcoming and orienting new families? Does your gym do this well? How do they do it? I feel strongly now that I need to push harder for our gym to be doing a better job at this. I have offered to meet one-on-one with the new L3 mom to answer any questions she has, but I can't do this with them all. Thanks to everyone ahead of time for your input!

Our gym has a yearly team parent meeting where HC goes over everything and answers questions. The booster club president also talks

Our gym has a lot of communication going on. We have annual meetings, meetings before competitions if they are outside our normal competitions. A meeting just before we start competing he regular year.
We have regular gym communication through emails for fundraisers, reminders, announcements, changes in schedules, etc.
We have mail boxes as well.
I have meetings with the head coach every 3-4 months.
I don't recall someone saying - in December this happens and in March check for this and your mail slot is used for this.
I am a pretty outgoing person - so I just talked a lot to anyone who was around.
I wanted to be involved so I volunteered for a lot of stuff to figure out where I fit in.
I think our club does a fantastic job but I always think there is room for improvement

We don't have anything either, but our coaches will answer questions. However, new team parents seem to think that the coaches are not approachable. When we add new kids, I make a welcome kit for the new kids and make myself available to anyone with questions.

I introduce myself to new parents (those who don't move up from our rec program... because they already know me). They all meet the HC the first day the gymnast tries out the gym and she answers any questions they have at that time. If they have questions after that first meeting, I tell them they can ask me if they don't get a chance to ask HC. At parent meetings, HC has a topic list... and looks to me to see if everything was covered. I try to make EVERYONE feel 100% welcome at the gym. :)

When my DD switched gyms, I asked new HC for an intro to the booster club president and then asked her all my questions. We have an annual meeting and most communication is done by email throughout the year. For new team members, HC usually introduces gymmie/parent to whomever is standing around at pick up time. When we (Board members) hear of a new team member, we send an introductory email to the parents with handbook and basic info.

Nothing...we came in pretty lost. Some of the team parents are really friendly and approachable so if I have a question about how things go, I just ask one of them. I did have the opportunity to meet one of her coaches at open gum before we started and if I have a question about something I know I can ask her.

We get a team handbook that spells out all the rules, practices, meets, and expectations. There is also meetings when something changes, or something big is happening. There isn't a booster club, and the coaches are usually busy on the floor, but I just asked my questions of the other mothers that sit at practice.

Our gym has had cookouts in the parking lot, or pot luck at the YMCA pool during the summer. This gives everyone a chance to meet each other.
The gym owner has an annual meeting right before summer practices start and again before the first meet, but talking to parents helps a lot.
Our different levels have different practice days and times, so it's hard for new families to get to talk to experienced patents.
I was wanting to try a parent network, maybe have a team mom for each level that could help with communication, but could also be used when people have questions, like a pass up-pass down.

Oh man do I remember that lost feeling. 2 of us Moms came in at the same time and we both say that we had NO idea what we were getting in to. Because of that, we're really good about making sure new team families are welcomed and kept up-to-date. Communication at the gym sucks rocks, so we watch each other's backs and make sure everyone knows what's going on.

Of course, we have an AMAZING group of parents who actually get along. Several of us stay the entire practice, so we can update each other on major skills achievement. Plus we always make sure new families get the skinny on dates, times, car pooling if needed, meet etiquette, etc. In fact, the kids who drop out are usually the ones whose parents hold themselves separate from the rest of us.

They have a meeting for only new team parents to explain everything. I have to say though, I felt very isolated when my daughter made her first team though because the parents were all friends from having been on preteams together and such. The parents weren't welcoming and it has taken this long to become friendly with most of them. This year for the new teams though, they have decided each group of team girls and parents will get together outside of gym. So hopefully, since we only know a couple of them, this will help all of us. As far as communication, we do get emails but sometimes it doesn't explain things the best way & we're allowed to message the team director. She goes between coaches & parents for communication.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back