Parents How expensive does this get as they move up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I feel liike we are in one of those VISA commercials.
competition leo-$200
competition fees-$1000
monthly tution-$250
seeing your gymnast having the time of their life-priceless!

You should actually submit that to VISA - I am not kidding. Running an ad like that around VISA Championship time would be brilliant!!!

At Q's gym:

Annual fee is $185 regardless of level.

Monthly tuition ranges from $192 (4 hours) - $399 (21 hours).

Booster club assessment, which covers all entry fees, and a portion of travel if airfare is involved, ranges from $315 (L3) to $995 (L10).

So, an annual total of just those fees ranges from $2,804 - $5,968.

This year, competition leo and warmups ran just shy of $275 - same cost for all levels. Leos change fairly regularly (and run around $120 in our gym), though warmups stay the same, so can be worn multiple years as long as they still fit.

So, in the aspect of the "bare minimum", you're looking at (at Q's gym), around $3,000 (L3) to $6,200 (L10).

As someone else pointed out, though - there are many other extras. Open gym fees, specialty class fees, bags, choreographers (as you get into optionals), airfare, hotel, car rental, food on the road, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc.

I think I've said it before, though, that our comparison sport in our family is Hockey. At any given time, one keeps the other sounding reasonable :D

Costs are comparable to swim team (although swimming a bit less).

Coaching fees: 1400-1900 (depending on level/age group)
Swimsuit: 60
Warmups: 100 (for the younger kids it was optional)
Meet fees: 40-75 per meet
Same kind of travel fees for hotels, etc. although all meets are in state until after state championship meet. If you wanted to always leave your house at 5 AM you could skip the hotels!!
Required fundraising: 150 per child, 300 family max
Volunteering: plenty. Each team must provide backup timers at all meets. If you host a meet, your parent volunteers run the whole thing.

At Pickle's gym, the meet fees (except for States and a few elective meets) are inlcluded in the tuition. But we do pay a yearly reg fee, a yearly equipment fee, the yearly USAG fee, and uniforms. And travel and hotels for meets when its required. This year there is one in another state but drivable, one that we could go to but you have to fly to, and States will be on the other side of the State, about 6 hours away.

I'm guessing we will pay close to $5000 this year for L5. We are definitely in a high COLA city. It's probably cheaper in some rural areas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back