WAG How long before a meet does a gymnast need to be 100%?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Maybe not 100% but able to train all events and do most tumbling lines? Say around level 8ish and managing an overuse knee injury?

What about coming back to training from a wrist fracture?

At what point would you say there's not enough time now to safely prepare?

I'd say about 1/2 of the kids at an early season meet are still not prepared to compete every skill with an expectation of being successful on each one. It seems that there's always "that one skill" on each event. So if you ask, me there's no reason to be worried about a handful of iffy skills spread out over four events...... as long as they can be done safely. It's a long way to the end of the season, and that's when you need to be 100%.

So if your question is how much time does it take, and a long term outlook has her close to 100% by midseason, my answer would be 3 months. If you're question, which included injury references, is she working too hard or soon on these injuries to get ready for meet season, I'd say talk to a doctor because I have no idea of the nature of either injury.

I'd say about 1/2 of the kids at an early season meet are still not prepared to compete every skill with an expectation of being successful on each one. It seems that there's always "that one skill" on each event. So if you ask, me there's no reason to be worried about a handful of iffy skills spread out over four events...... as long as they can be done safely. It's a long way to the end of the season, and that's when you need to be 100%.

IWC - Thank you for your insight here. I needed to hear that as I fear... er, uh, I mean look forward to ... the start of the L8 season. DD's technically got everything ... just not 100% of the time. It should make the meet season quite the ride!

So if your question is how much time does it take, and a long term outlook has her close to 100% by midseason, my answer would be 3 months. If you're question, which included injury references, is she working too hard or soon on these injuries to get ready for meet season, I'd say talk to a doctor because I have no idea of the nature of either injury.

I get that while they are working up to new skills they won't have them all the time. I was thinking more along the lines of ability to train at 100%, without severe pain coming off injury. How much time to go from limited training to competition training?

There is a girl in our gym in a boot, fractured her foot a couple of weeks ago. She gets it off (hopefully) in two weeks. The intent was she compete l7 this year, with her first meet in early December. Her mom said all would be OK if she has the skills before down pat.... All parties were comfortable with 4 weeks to comps.

We've had girls with injuries scratch and compete at a makeup when there is insufficient time, but knowing your specifics I suspect that isn't an option.

I get that while they are working up to new skills they won't have them all the time. I was thinking more along the lines of ability to train at 100%, without severe pain coming off injury. How much time to go from limited training to competition training?

So you mean how long from getting a doctor's ok to get to the point of being able to go full strength and full impact????

My time frame is six weeks if every thing goes well. It's not all that bad considering the phase of the training cycle she's in, as long as everybody involved has the end of the season as their priority. If she concentrates on the skills her body will allow, and waits for the right time to fill in the gaps, she will have from early December until the end of the season to get things the way she wants.

So you mean how long from getting a doctor's ok to get to the point of being able to go full strength and full impact????

My time frame is six weeks if every thing goes well. It's not all that bad considering the phase of the training cycle she's in, as long as everybody involved has the end of the season as their priority. If she concentrates on the skills her body will allow, and waits for the right time to fill in the gaps, she will have from early December until the end of the season to get things the way she wants.

Not really. Say you have a competition December 15. At what point before December 15 does your gymnast need to be training at a competition level in order for you to allow her to compete? And would the number change based on level of skills?

I think dunno read the question that way, and three weeks is ideal if she's at 100% physical condition and is trying to recover the skills she's had to avoid during rehab.

That answer works for any level except for those kids who are just barely there and needed three weeks to complete their learning on new skills. Like you can't say 3 weeks is enough if she had just done her first double back by herself, then was injured while doing a beam skill. That may work, and maybe not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back