MAG How many hours is the bare minimum?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
So a few weeks ago we got a schedule for the school year that had the level 6s working 12 hours in 4 week nights 530 to 830. Evidently I was the only one that moved things around to make it work because my kid want to be a 6, and I'm willing to make that happen.

As a result, the schedule has been modified to 3 nights a week for a total of 9 hours. For my 9 year old, I just don't think that's enough to make the jump from 5 to 6. He needs more reps and time. We basically gave up our day that would only be the 6's so now all practices are preterm to level 6 with about 14 to one. I'm sure my kid could repeat level 5 for a 3rd year with all the bonuses and have a good year at 9 hours. There is another gym that we could move to where he would get more time, but that isn't ideal.

Am I wrong that 9 hours isn't really enough? Do I talk to him to clarify what he wants so I can make choices based on that? The coaches email suggested that semi privates might be an option, but that isn't really an ongoing option for our family. Any thoughts?

Our level 6s have the option to work out M,W,Th, 5:30-8, F 5-7:30 and saturday 9-12. That is 13 hours. Most miss one day of that so they do about 10-11. I thikn if the 9 is concentrated and focused it can be done, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. I woudl ask if there is another day he can attend since you planned for it.

Ours have 9 hrs as their minimum. They can do 12 if they want. I think J did 9 as an 8 yo L6. He was focused, worked hard, and did fine.

Well it is on the low side for sure, so to be competitive, would seemingly need a practice that kept kids moving at productive stations so lots of conditioning is built in while they are there.

Since your son repeated L5, is he close on a lot of L6 skills? How did he do at L5? Does the coach intend for him to repeat L6 as well? If he plans on 2 years at L6 (or doesn't mind a little slower pace for now - he is still quite young), and he's at least in the ballpark of the skills, 9 hours could work out OK for now if you like the gym and program otherwise. He could enjoy the one season of lower hours and add some other kind of complementary class like parkour/ninja, strength training with a trainer, or some kind of running sport or swimming class.

If on the other hand, he is very competitive (or moving in that direction), and you have greater doubts about the program matching your son's longer-term goals, then this is perhaps just one sign of a larger problem.

We live in the armpit of mens gymnastics and there honestly is no "better" place long term to go. It will be more of the same anywhere we go. I know the other option has more hours and their kids are competitive, but our kids have been too. Last year, he had a migraine at the state meet and missed the regional by .3. He is middle of the road, generally, strong on floor and PH, but not so much on rings and Pbars. I know he could compete the Level 6 floor and PH tomorrow. He would be in the bottom 1/3 on rings and pbars if we had a meet next week. The other 2 would likely be in the top 1/2 in our state. In a more competitive state, he would be middle of the pack. Mostly, I'm afraid a 3rd year of level 5 and he would be bored stiff there are also social implications. He is a better fit with the older more focused kids than the younger knuckleheads. I know the social reasons are not important, but try telling that to a 9 year old.

We live in the armpit of mens gymnastics and there honestly is no "better" place long term to go. It will be more of the same anywhere we go. I know the other option has more hours and their kids are competitive, but our kids have been too. Last year, he had a migraine at the state meet and missed the regional by .3. He is middle of the road, generally, strong on floor and PH, but not so much on rings and Pbars. I know he could compete the Level 6 floor and PH tomorrow. He would be in the bottom 1/3 on rings and pbars if we had a meet next week. The other 2 would likely be in the top 1/2 in our state. In a more competitive state, he would be middle of the pack. Mostly, I'm afraid a 3rd year of level 5 and he would be bored stiff there are also social implications. He is a better fit with the older more focused kids than the younger knuckleheads. I know the social reasons are not important, but try telling that to a 9 year old.

So it sounds like sticking around is the best bet, and generally your gym competes pretty well. Sounds like L6 is the right target and he's in good enough shape with some strong events. If your son is more focused and further along than the group he's in, is there a chance for him to join a higher level once a week or something? Or even just condition with them perhaps? If he sticks with it this season, would he likely move up to more hours next season?

If the longer term outlook looks reasonable for your area, he's only 9, so as long as he is learning new skills, one season of a lighter schedule seems fine. Gives him a chance to either enjoy other things a little on his off day, or possibly work something out with a higher level if coach is willing to work with you there. I think he will be fine. I do know some programs who go 10 hours for L6. They might not sweep podiums at L6, but they are more focused on avoiding the repetitive-stress and growth plate injuries short term, and save the harder physical work for after puberty. The long game seems to work well for them.

The bigger issue to me is all days together with preteam to L6 and 14:1 coach. That's a huge range of kids for 1 coach. I am sure a L6 could be successful with only 9 hours and a group of only L5/6 or L6/7-8. Not so sure with young preteam and L4s. This issue to me is learning L6 skills takes spotting and coaching. Giants, flyaways, back tucks, vault table. My ds did a large group of L4-6 for L6, but they had 1 day with only the L5/6s. Do you think you can mention you would like to get that day back?

Were you able to find out why the other parents were not willing to go along with the original schedule?

Our level 6s train with the level 5s and then get one extra day with the 7/8s to get their hours up. I agree with trying to get some conditioning/cross training time in on your own if possible. I'd have to think preteam to L6 would be a potential problem if the group is heavily weighted to the preteam/level 4's; that's got to be hard for the coach to organize and manage. Maybe talk with those other level 6s parents and see what could be done to get those kids back up to the original 12 hours? How do those families feel about the drop to 9 hours?

I'm not entirely sure how often our 6s practice, but it's more than 9, and seems to be the line drawn between
the "big guys" and the "little guys". Pre-team boys are almost always separate times/coaches from regular team,
and 4s and 5s might be able to switch practices with each other, but a 6 would go with older guys. Our
coach also lets boys come extra days if they want. (There's basically some level practicing every evening.)

This fall, our Level 6s will practice 15 hr per week over 5 days. 5s practice 12hr over 5 days, 4s practice 9hr over 3 days. 7 and 8s are 21hr over 6 days.

I do not think that many hours are necessary, but I do think low hours means practice must be focused, and I do not see how that could possibly happen with a group of preteam-level 6 practicing together, unless we are talking some crazy disciplined little kids.

To me a mature (in focus, attitude and behavior, if not necessarily actual age) boy who is training level 6 with 2 years of competing 5 already under his belt arguably has more in common with a Level 7 or 8 than they have with a kid on preteam or a 4. Certainly this would be true of my 10 year old son who is training for a second year at Level 6. Obviously it would be nice if your son could practice only with other level 6s, but if that cannot happen, have you talked to coach about your son perhaps practicing with upper levels (assuming your gym has upper levels?)

I think practicing with 7s makes sense. When you start getting to 8/9, it gets tricky. It is similar to pre team with level 6. Coaches' focus had to be in one place..and younger tends to draw more attention. I would see what you can do though.

We are with a young gym. The 6's are the big kids. There are about 16 boys total. (6) level 6's (5) level 5's (3) level 4's and (4) preteam boys. It is that unfortunate number where it is too much for one coach and not quite enough to need 2. My kid is 9 and he has his faults but he has WAY more in common with the older kids in the group than the 4's even though a few of the 4 are older than he is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back