Parents How many kids?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Two. Boy and a girl. And another boy on devo team, although, he isn't as "in" to the sport as the other two, so we may dodge the team bullet with him. :D

I have 2 on team - one training L8 and one L4. 2 other kids that play different sports that are thank goodness less expensive.

I don't know how most of you do it! I only have one and she's still in rec, don't know if she'll go team. But part of keeping her in gymnastics is knowing we can afford her to compete if it comes to that because she's our only child.

Thank goodness only 1. Neither my nerves nor my bank account could handle 2. Other daughter does dance. I would say she is as serious about dance as you can be at a non-serious studio (non-competitive and kids who go there don't grow up to be professional dancers). Even though the cost is less (about half the cost of gymnastics) the price per hour is more, especially when you consider that they are off for several weeks at Christmas, classes end after the spring recital, and summer classes are sporadic (as opposed to gymnastics that just keeps going and going). And a $200 leo that gets worn at 8-10 meets per year for 2 years is a way better deal than a $60 dance costume that only gets worn at the dress rehearsal, recital, and pictures. And, of course, we have to buy a different costume for each number she's in. So I guess it's all relative. And truly, if you really want to feel like gymnastics is a good deal for the money spent, watch an episode or two of "Toddlers in Tiaras."

Or competitive horse showing! $3000 for ONE show ouch!

Or competitive horse showing! $3000 for ONE show ouch!

Come now, That's only the "A" circuit, multi- day shows! I have 2 in Optionals , and my youngest is a horseback rider, and shows... Hunters. But she only does the local, "C" rated, shows, $100 to haul the horse in, and 35-50 for training fees, and $15 per class (and they show up to 6 classes a day) , and 1-2 shows a month during the "season", and 2 lessons a week at $25-35 a lesson ....

Never mind.... !

Must be the "A" circuit shows they go to then :) I know they are multi-day long travel shows. We don't really have anything local :)

So funny to bring up horse showing. I rode the A circuit as a kid in hunters and equitation (working student, mind you) and the costs in that sport can be/are insane. I thought I was the only one here who, simply because of a comparison like this outrageous one, thinks gymnastics is much more reasonable!!! (No horse to buy, and upkeep and board, and train and ship to shows all over, and and......)

Only one DD in gymnastics L4, but I also have a DS in premier level soccer. His fees are almost as much as gymnastics. He has more games than she has meets, but he has fewer hours of practice. Poor child #3 who just gets dragged around to practices, meets and games! Not looking forward to when he starts sports!

Yes, that's true. When I'm worried about making sure pack DD's grips, leo, warm-up, etc. I will now think to myself "thank goodness I don't have to pack a horse."

LOL!!! It is so funny to me that I think gymnastics is reasonable compared to horseback riding. The training fees per hour comparison is unbelievable! And when I look at my 2 older DDs packed and ready to go to a meet, then the younger DD packed and ready to go to a show - well there is no comparison!

Also, even though I only have to put younger DDs hair into two low pigtails with hairbows on the ends (she wears a helmet) -
THE PONY NEEDS HIS HAIR (mane and tail) DONE for shows!!!!

I have three on team and I never, EVER add up the cost. I just find a way to make it work. Although I get very frazzled in the middle of meet season!

Funny that horses came up. I took my kids riding this summer and DS said, "I might consider giving up gymnastics one day if I could ride horses instead." :eek: I said, "you know, we wouldn't be buying you a horse, right?" He changed his mind and now just wants to do it in addition to gymnastics. :rolleyes:

I have 2... our team has 7 other families with 2 AND a family of 3 (L3 & L4 & L4), and all of these families also have other activities going on except for the fam of 3... both of their younger sisters do rec gym, so they are solely a gym fam. :)

We are also in a NEW leotard, warm up, and bag year... switching from GK to AF after years of problems with the orders. If we have it our way, we will keep these leotards for at least 3-4 years... all of our previous changes were because GK discontinued something or made an error in filling the order (year 2 - one sleeve was wrong... right color, wrong treatment - not too bad, so we just had both versions competing)... year 3, they discontinued our color of velvet (seen in my icon) and substituted nylon (didn't look right on the older girls but we used what we had - some velvet and some nylon) so for year 4, we chose a completely new style for us. The GK Rep came out and did fittings... It even appeared on the Make It Or Break It Olympic Trials episode. We find out year 5, it has been discontinued... we can only order it through December... as a special order... for an extra $25 per leotard! So, going into year 6, we will be getting new leos... and our GK warm ups were also discontinued so... and our old bags aren't even big enough to hold shoes so... cha-ching, cha-ching!

I have 3 kids in gymnastics, DD1 lv 4 artistic and international lv 6 rhythmic, DD2 lv 5 artistic plus lv 3 power tumbling and circus and DS lv 1 mens.... Most of my time and income goes to the sport!

I have 3 kids in gymnastics, DD1 lv 4 artistic and international lv 6 rhythmic, DD2 lv 5 artistic plus lv 3 power tumbling and circus and DS lv 1 mens.... Most of my time and income goes to the sport!
That is a lot of gym! At least it is varied :)

I have three girls in gymnastics, but only one that is competitive. My middle daughter, age 5, hopes to compete L2 next year, and my youngest, age 3, has a while before we'll worry about it.

Only one now--used to be two, but her older sister graduated a year ago. Now I just have a swimmer and a gymnast

We're about to have one on level 3, so it'll be increased tuition, leos, warm ups, etc and my 7 year old is in horseback riding. No competitions there yet but I'm sure it'll come. My youngest is 19 months and just gets schlepped everywhere with us!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back