WAG How to control nerves?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I have my first meet of the season this weekend and I'm sort of freaking out! I get so nervous during warm up compete! My heart pounds like crazy, my hands get all sweaty, I feel lightheaded and my head hurts, and not just a little, a bad headache. I also seem to almost shake? Like when I don't notice I see my hands shaking. I know it's normal to have butterflies in your stomach but sometime I actually feel sick and I've thrown up in my mouth before. I also feel like I can't breath. It takes extra effort to take a deep breath and I feel like I'm sufficating. By the time I compete and I'm done I'm just soooo tired.

I usually go to the bathroom, splash my face with water and just sit there for 5-8 min going over my routines. I close my eyes and put my hands to my face. This helps sometimes. I also have a nervous habit of drinking tons of water before I compete. lol So then I have to use the bathroom really bad!

I compete and I do absolutely fine! Most of the symptoms described go away (usually). But I do tend to be "too sharp and stiff" on beam... oh well.

Any suggestions? This doesn't always happen but It does. Sometimes I only have a few things... I just need to be less nervous!!!

This happens to me ALL OF THE TIME, except for the nerves usually stay with me while competing. No advice, but TONS of sympathy.

If you are getting physically ill it may be more than just nerves and you may have anxiety which only a doctor/psychologist can help you with, but here are a few things that I do:

I do not watch other people's beam routines until I have competed as it freaks me out. Before my routine I take myself away from my team and visualise my routine while taking deep breaths. Breathing in and out focusing on breathing out. Count to 10 on your fingers slowly over and over again (when I saw a counsellor for some anxiety related issues she told me to do that when I felt stressed/was in a stressful situation and it really helped focus the mind on that moment and not on what is going to happen in 5 minutes)

Hope that helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back