WAG How to perform aka how can I get that 10.0!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
I know a similar question was posted recently but I wanted more answers.

How can I really perform my routine & stand out to the judges and audience? Particularly on floor. My beam "performance" is decent- could be better- but I need more work on floor in order to stand out. I almost always get the dreaded artistry deduction, and it doesn't help that all the other girls in my level are dancers.

Tips?

For many girls it helps to take some dance classes. I recommend to look into some dance academies near you. Take some beginners ballet classes, you could be amazed at the difference it makes if you truly try and work on it. You could also take some other "more fun" (fun is relative) classes like hip hop and improv. Those could really boost your confidence and even artistry!

My two cents worth...you need to practice your routines stretching and squeezing everything as much as you can until it feels normal and you do it automatically. I have noticed that my DD usually looks tidy but just lacks that extra flair. The gymnasts that perform beautifully extend their arms back further, are stretched to the very ends of their fingertips, and so on. They lift up their chins and breastbones. Imagine there is a string tied to the top of your head and it is lifting you up, stretching your spine. Make the movements a little bigger than you think they need to be. It might feel strange at first because your body is not used to it, but the more you practice it, the more naturally it will come. In floor routines there should be some movement of the head - in ballet when practicing arm movements the head follows the movement, looking at the hand. Some ballet classes might be helpful (I can't see hip hop being all that useful), though you will have to adapt what you learn as the ballet 'shapes' are generally a little 'softer' than in gymnastics. Watch your teammates and see if you can copy things they do that look graceful. My DD is now doing little wrist flourishes she didn't do a couple of years back!

If you have ever performed on stage or have heard how stage performance is described, it is all about making it big. On stage, movements, facial expressions, everything, must be big so that people sitting in the back of the audience can see. So, just like Nikki says - make movements bigger than you think they need to be. For example, my DD's hitchkick in level 5 and 6 floor comes right up to her face.

Big arms, and think to yourself you are strong and powerful, but graceful. Big smiles, too. Even if the judge is not judging you on your smile, your smile will seep through the routine. The smile says performance on your face but it affects body positions and choreography.

Good luck!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back