Parents How to Scratch an event

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
If a gymnast isn't doing an event what are their options for showing they're scratching?
I've heard, salute, touch the apparatus and then salute again. But I've also heard the coach can supply a list in advance of which events the child is scratching (and the child doesn't have to do anything except sit off to the side). Is this accurate?

At the meets we have attended, the gymnasts salutes, touches the apparatus and then salutes again. This is for meets all across Texas, at Desney World and at regionals in New Mexico (Region 3)

If they scratch every event usually coach just tells the meet. The gymnast doesn’t need to do anything
If they are scratching one or a couple events usually salute touch apparatus and salute again. Last season a couple girls on our team had to scratch floor at a meet. They did a synchro scratch and just stepped on floor together and saluted again. Saved some time :)

My dd scratched floor and vault and had to salute etc, The judges did have some fun wiht her on floor tho and said they were bummed she did not do the floor.

I could be totally wrong on this but I think they have to touch the apparatus. Something about the gymnast must get a score in every event if they are competing one and the only way to do that is to physically touch the apparatus. If they aren't competing at all, that is different than scratching.

Salute, touch, salute if they are scratching individual events. Coach submission at beginning of meet if gymnast is scratching all events (gymnast will not get called up). Have done it myself many times as a coach.

She is scratching floor and bars. Thanks... The new gym. Not a good fit unfortunately. Makes the old gym look wonderful. :-( Frankly, I'm not even sure we'll be able to finish the season there due to what it's doing to her mentally.

Touch and salute over here. What is she having to scratch, and how is the new gym going?

She is scratching floor and bars. Thanks... The new gym. Not a good fit unfortunately. Makes the old gym look wonderful. :-( Frankly, I'm not even sure we'll be able to finish the season there due to what it's doing to her mentally.
I’m so sorry! We’ve made a bad switch once too and tried to stick it out but didn’t quite make it to states before throwing in the towel. I hope it gets better!

Thank you... My poor DD loved bars before the new gym. Now, she's completely defeated in bars because of their policies. Physically she's doing ok and learning, but mentally she's starting really to lose all confidence and not feel good about going. The grass isn't always greener.

I’m so sorry! We’ve made a bad switch once too and tried to stick it out but didn’t quite make it to states before throwing in the towel. I hope it gets better!

They generally need to salute and touch so a score of zero can be entered and finalize the meet results. If they just never came up to the apparatus or their card wasn't in the order, then no score would be entered which is not the same as entering a zero. For meets that use a list order instead of cards, I assume it would create confusion while the judges tried to find that kid before moving down the list.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back