Parents How to wash a competition Leo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

not crazy at all, we have just never had the sparkly mesh before, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with it. Washing instructions are just the usual - inside out, hand wash cold water with mild detergent.

This. If I followed the GK instructions for my daughter's warm ups two years ago they would have been ruined. The black material bled like crazy and they had white shoulders and sleeves. I washed them the same way I washed her leo. I try to err on the side of the most delicate way to do so.

the secret to stop bleed is to use a large volume of water to dilute any excess dye. Unfortunately some of those lovely shades require a large amount of dye.

About 10 years ago, a then already seasoned gym mom told me how she had always successfully washed competition leos.
After my 10 years of safely and successfully washing multiple comp leos many, many times, I can honestly say I've had 100% success with her method. I simply turn the leo inside out, throw it in front load washer by itself, and wash on "delicate" or "hand wash." I remove leo from washer as immediately as possible, and hang on a small, well-fitted hanger to dry. I now usually use Ivory Snow detergent, but I've successfully used Tide and Cheer (withOUT fabric softener!!) many times as well.

I recently posted about my experience using Soak wash on my DD's "blingy" comp leo (no mesh though). I was very happy with the results. Someone did point out that Soak was originally designed for woolens, but there's no reason it wouldn't work on synthetics (unlike Eucalan, as someone else noted, which contains lanolin). Just one more option to consider.

Now I'm scared. She has a bright blue and white leo and I'm just gonna pray it doesn't bleed.

So where can you buy unicorn tears?

Now I'm scared. She has a bright blue and white leo and I'm just gonna pray it doesn't bleed.

So where can you buy unicorn tears?
I recently ran out of unicorn tears and had to just wing it with a deep purple and stark white blinged leo.

This is what I do:
I use all free & clear, fill the bathroom sink with cold water. Put the leo in, suds it around. Focus on underarms and bottom most. Keep moving it around. Keep sudsing it. (I don't wring it or pull it).
Drain water, rinse sink from suds, and fill again.
Suds it around again. It might take twice.
take it out and lay it flat on a beach towel (non colored). Roll it up (not tightly, so as to not pull and stretch). Push on it, to get extra water out.
I do it again with another towel.
Then I hang it.

It sounds like a lot, but truly i'm done in less than 5 minutes.
The first time took longer, as I had to keep taking deep breaths because the fear of the white turning lavender was paralyzing - LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back