WAG I am a beginner and I feel so weak beside my team mates. How fast can I improve?

• Thread starter Thread starter twistingmia
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
T

twistingmia

Hello guys!

I just moved to the US from Finland with my family and I love it here sooo much! I joined the cheerleading team in my school and I love it. I just don't feel very comfortable there because most of the girls are really really good so I am a little bit unsure, although everyone is nice.

I want to know how long it would take me be about as good as my team mates?

Here is a video I found which shows pretty much all of the skills they can do.

Most of the girls can also do a front and side aerial, a needle and a scorpion.

I can already to good cartwheels and dive cartwheels, round-offs and all my splits and backbends. But I feel so stupid compared to them. I want it so badly and I also want to compete!!!
I will work very very hard, my team trains 2 times a week for 2 hours but I will try to do some extra work at home or with friends. We also have a trampoline in our garden.

What do you think how long does it take the average girl to learn these skills? Most of my teammates started when they were young, I am 15 already. Can I still do it??? I know there will be no exact answer but maybe just approximately? I have no idea whether it takes half a year, 1 year, 2 years or maybe even 5???
I love love love it and I want to improooove as fast as possible!

Please help me, I love your country!!!

Mia

Hi, welcome to the US and good luck with your cheer-leading. Our gym offers high school cheer tumbling classes. Could you look into something like that at an area gymnastics or cheer club near you? A basic tumbling class or cheer tumbling class would be a great compliment and provide you with quality coaching which is super important.

Also, strength and endurance training will help quite a bit and increase the speed at which you can improve.

It sounds like you are very dedicated and enthusiastic. Just keep working hard and you will make lots of progress. But like you said most of those girls have been at this a while. Just focus on being the best YOU can be.

The mom in me is just going to say be very careful on that trampoline at home. Don't try things you really don't know how to do. Its not worth pushing too hard and getting hurt.

You're measuring yourself against the wrong standard by comparing your skill level with the other girls. The only measure you need be concerned with is how hard you work, how well you listen, how determined you are to make changes as they are suggested by your coach, and how intelligently you regulate your sleep habits and nutrition. You don't have to be a 100% freak about the food because many snacks and treats seen as "unhealthy" can be a valuable part of an overall nutritious meal and snack strategy.

Talk to your coaches about things you can do at home such as strength or flexibility. Forget about using the trampoline as a learning aid when there's no coach available to learn from...... and no, your friends are not acceptable guides or mentors with respect to skillwork. They can only tell you what they understand from their own twisted perspective of what takes place during a skill. Skills are rarely the result of doing what first makes sense...... that's why you listen to your coaches.... they know, and your peers don't. Live with that rule and you'll learn a lot faster.

Sleep is something that must be given it's due. Get as much as you can up to a reasonable 8.5 to 10 hrs a night.

Do and be all of these as much as you want. If you measure up well by those standards, you'll be much happier then if you'd measured by skills...... and maybe feel almost caught up with them in a year.

If you are serious about training, you will train at least 4 if not 5 times a week besides strength work 2-3x a week.

If you are serious about training, you will train at least 4 if not 5 times a week besides strength work 2-3x a week.

Yes - I just found a tumbling class and I will join it 2 times a week. So 4 times a week training for 2 hours each, plus strength training.

So you think it's possible then? I mean, let's say I am as flexible (all splits down, good back flexibilit etc.) and strong (most of them can do 5 pull-ups and have strong abs) could I then be able to make it? If I have this "base" plus a good cartwheel, roundoff, one-handed cartwheel and dive cartwheel, how long would those tricks take me to do with proper training?

Hope you can help and thank you!

Mia

Easily, Im sure a lot of the cheerleaders I did privates could barely do pullups and they were working multiple hansprings, connected back tucks, layouts and twists.

Good cartwheel, decent HS awareness, aerial awareness and strong core and legs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back