WAG I am really bored in gymastics right now??

• Thread starter Thread starter mary lombardo
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
M

mary lombardo

I'm on a level 2 team (old level 3) at my gym now. I started in July and it was hard and I like that but it's gotten soo boring. I come about 9 hours a week for 2-3 hour practices and all we do the entire practice every day is condition and do the same old routines over and over. I get doing the routines well is important but I know my routines and can d them well! These are the scores I've gotten. Vault: 9.5 Floor: 9.2 Beam: 9.5 Bars: 9.0. And my coaches say I have done better at practice when I'm not all nervous. I'm just wondering is it like this for everyone because I just started competitive gymnastics I used to just take classes where we got to learn new things. And also I don't know all of my level 3 (old 4) skills but I know a lot of them because I taught myself but they never ever teach them at practice so how am I supposed to? I'd like to come for more hours doing harder things but I don't have an opportunity. Should I tell my coaches this or just stay with it??

How old are you? Is there an opportunity to move to an Xcel program? For someone over 12 who has the basics down, I would say it is reasonable to be learning more than level 2 skills when practicing 9 hours a week. But it may be necessary to move out of the level system into the Xcel system, and they may not practice 9 hours a week so that might be the catch - I guess you have to figure out how it works at your gym and what the options would be.

I'm 13 but there is no xcel at my gym or any of the gyms near me

I think a conversation with the coaches makes sense. Just tell them that you are eager to learn new skills and that you welcome the challenge. They should be able to find a away to keep you enagaged and moving forward. Good luck!

I think a conversation with the coaches makes sense. Just tell them that you are eager to learn new skills and that you welcome the challenge. They should be able to find a away to keep you enagaged and moving forward.

Ditto this. As long as you are paying attention and doing your best during your regular practices, asking for a challenge is a good thing. The key is being respectful when you ask.

I'm 13 but there is no xcel at my gym or any of the gyms near me

Got it. Compulsories can be a little tough because you have to have everything on all the events in order to move on with a stronger event generally. Do you know if your gym ever moves girls up at this point in the year? I would definitely see if you and your parents can meet with the coach and express interest in progressing a little faster. Sometimes people don't want to move up fast because of more hours or cost or something, so sometimes when coaches know the family is interested, they're more willing to let you try.

At our gym that is how it is too. Compulsories are repetitive and get boring towards the end of the season. Just try and remember that the details make all the difference. that repetition is important for muscle memory. We have quite a few 13,14,15 YO competing with 7 and 8 yo in L3. They are very dedicated and hard working and are GREAT examples for the younger girls.
In life, jobs, school things can get boring and passion can subside, just stick with it. It will get more exciting when you begin learning the exciting stuff.
It is a marathon, not a sprint.

I agree with talking to the coaches suggestion. My daughter is in a similar situation, held at level 2, even though she has most of her level 3 skills. I talked to her coaches expressing the interest in moving up as soon as she gets all the skills, even if it's mid season. They agreed to work with her. She got her FHC just two weeks after I talked to them! Never hurts to ask.

gymnastics is a repetitive skill sport. repetitive=boring=mastery=success. :)

I'm on a level 2 team (old level 3) at my gym now. I started in July and it was hard and I like that but it's gotten soo boring. I come about 9 hours a week for 2-3 hour practices and all we do the entire practice every day is condition and do the same old routines over and over. I get doing the routines well is important but I know my routines and can d them well! These are the scores I've gotten. Vault: 9.5 Floor: 9.2 Beam: 9.5 Bars: 9.0. And my coaches say I have done better at practice when I'm not all nervous. I'm just wondering is it like this for everyone because I just started competitive gymnastics I used to just take classes where we got to learn new things. And also I don't know all of my level 3 (old 4) skills but I know a lot of them because I taught myself but they never ever teach them at practice so how am I supposed to? I'd like to come for more hours doing harder things but I don't have an opportunity. Should I tell my coaches this or just stay with it??

First Talk to your coaches and let them know how you feel. Second remember this is not a sprint but a marathon - it takes a lot of boring conditioning and repetitive practice to master a skill or unlearn self taught skills that may have flaws in them.
there are a lot of gals out there that want to do gymnastics but don't have the drive or whatever you want to call it to put in the time at the boring and repetitive stuff to continue on. With your scores sounds like you could move up but your coach is the best one to discuss this with. Also talk to your parents about this so they can make the appointment to meet with your coach. Don't try and do it during a practice time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back